26: Welcoming Draupadi

Arshia gripped the cement and brick railing tightly, watching Duryodhana get bathed with pure milk. The evil look on Shakuni's face with him caressing the knife strapped around his waist and Karna's proud look killed her. Her eyes lingered around the huge doors of the court, waiting for Bhishma to come and stop it. Although she didn't clearly remember the events,she knew Duryodhana was never crowned king of Hastinapur. She tapped her feet impatiently as she saw Duryodhana getting bathed in water.

"What is this nonsense?Why do we have to watch a man bathe?" Arshia mumbled. Gandhari swiftly turned her head to Arshia and then back straight.

Duryodhana proudly looked up at the ladies corner and smiled arrogantly at Arshia. She tilted her head,not knowing for what reason he was staring at her with so much arrogance. He powerfully walked towards Dhritarashtra and kneeled down in front of him, waiting for him to take off his crown and place it on his head. Arshia moved her gaze to her husband and saw his proud face,as if he was the one being crowned the king of Hastinapur.

Had it been for someone else, pride would have filled her body and she would have admired how selfless and kind Karna was.

Duryodhana placed his firm hands on Dhritarashtra's own and,with force,he tried to place the crown on his head. As the crown almost touched his head,a booming and strong voice put the ceremony to a pause.

Arshia turned her gaze to the huge doors and sighed in relief, seeing Gangaputra Bhishma. His stern and serious tone made Duryodhana stop in his actions and turn to face his blazing anger.

"Maharaj Dhritarashtra!With whose permission are you crowning Duryodhana as the king of Hastinapur?" Bhishma gripped his bow tighter. Shakuni turned to the king and said "Does the king of Hastinapur have to take permission before taking decisions?" He mocked.

"Stay silent,Gandhar Raj!" Bhishma took heavy and angry steps towards Shakuni, resulting in the king of Gandhar step a few steps back. "I am the eldest son of Raja Shantanu!I walk in front of the king and I shall stop adharm from reaching the Hastinapur throne!" His angry voice filled the sabha and everyone seemed to have stopped breathing.

"B-but Mahamahim,how can you go against the decision of the Maharaj?That was your oath" Shakuni's voice shivered. Bhishma turned away from him and continued speaking,while looking at Dhritarashtra and Duryodhana.

"My oath was to protect the Hastinapur throne and I will not tolerate adharm ruling Hastina!And to protect the throne of Hastinapur,I shall lift my weapons against Hastinapur!"

He circled on his place slowly and asked

"Does anyone have the capability to go against me!?"

The hall fell dead silent.

"Forgive me, Mahamahim" Karna's voice was the first to break the heavy silence.

Arshia turned her gaze to Karna and stared at him,shocked.

"If I had to fight for Mitr Duryodhana and make him sit on the throne,then in the order of the Hastinapur throne,I shall show my capability in front of you"

Bhishma stared at Karna, angrily. He turned his gaze to Dhritarashtra. He pointed at Karna and said "If that is the case,Maharaj Dhritarashtra,ask Angraj Karna to raise his weapons against me!Let Rajkumar Duryodhana know when adharm tries to sit on the Hastinapur throne,what horrible and deadly war Devrat Bhishma can wage!"

Arshia widened her eyes at the sudden request. She looked at Karna and not even a single sense of discomfort or fear prevailed over him. He stood stern and fixed his decision, waiting for Dhritarashtra to command him.

"Mahamahim!"

Arshia stopped.

Bhishma looked up to the ladies corner and his gaze softened at the sight of Arshia. She walked down the stairs,now the jingling sounds of her anklets being the only source of sound. Walking to Bhishma,she bent down and sought his blessings. She stood in front of him with her enchanting smile which seemed to take off the stress on Bhishma's face. He lifted his hand and blessed the girl.