Bonus Chapter: Shopping Spree

Dave was honking irately at the traffic as he cursed to himself. He had no interest to be where he was going to. He particularly did not want to see that face. It gave him bad memories. He had barely escaped a certain death. His life was finally starting to assume a semblance of normalcy and he didn't want to jinx it.

The art gallery came into view to his right. Turning the indicator, Dave waited for his turn to cross the road. A school bus was parked in front of it. A tour maybe. A private conversation would be difficult in this situation. But he had to take the chance and get it out of his head as soon as possible.

Dave waited for the children and the teachers to get in, with the queue being agonizingly long. His muscle memory wanted to announce that he was a cop and be granted an instant entry. Sometimes, things just don't work out like that. He wanted the least attention on himself. He even relished it.

Announcement for the art gala and the advertising material was prominent in the streets leading up to the gallery. It boasted exhibits from painters all over the nearby cities, and an entrance fee to match. His first thoughts about this whole ordeal were that of a bigshot school, eager to make a promo out of this pointless exercise as to how they foster creativity and values in their students the way the other peasant schools could only dream of. The general talk, particularly amongst the concerned parent groups these days was that the syllabus was supposedly filled with agenda to lead youngsters astray by filling their delicate, impressionable minds with division and hate. Somebody had to think of all the children. They would be indoctrinated with only what they choose to indoctrinate.

There was an excited chatter and expressions of bewilderment in the faces of the middle schoolers who would've been coaxed into this with a promise of ice cream or pizza or whatever they were really into. That was the most plausible scenario for this excursion. Dave could only pity the haplessness of the faculty trying to direct and gain the attention of their wards, while silently reassuring himself on his life plans. He had made progress; his girlfriend was no longer imaginary. With continued effort, could very well be a reality.

The clueless children were trying to figure out what exactly they signed up for. Some of them were lethargically lumbering towards Dave's destination while others were in a hurry running past him. This was in many ways the polar opposite to his first date in a long time. He dreaded the person he was going to meet, wished to leave instantly, a sour taste in his mouth.

The artist looked presentable, quite charming in a white shirt, signing autographs for the jobless few, as Dave saw it. This was quite the contrast from the last time they had met. Less greasy and saner. Dave tried to not judge as everybody had to start somewhere, even if in this case the end was already nearing. The paintings that were on display on the other hand, reminded him exactly why he should be wary of this man. The air of calmness did not betray and underlying erratic sense of savagery.

There were three main paintings displayed prominently alongside other few works. The teachers stood in front of each of the art work alongside the assigned pupil, heard a mini pretentious lecture and moved on to the next. Dave blended in with the people and bade for his turn. He didn't want to appear conspicuous

The painter was passionately explaining the art to a mixed reception of awe and boredom. The students let out a practiced, totally organic smile of understanding. The grades for extra curriculars were never a factor. They were inquisitive examples to be put on the website with an equally model faculty to lure in unsuspecting victims for the next academic year.

The first one was titled, Paradise. A cold, winter landscape with coniferous trees were portrayed with an emphasis on how the snow slid off of them. The tundra looked like a circular maze with a pond in the middle. The water looked pristine and potable. There was a wooden cabin, from which this magnificent display of nature was captured in canvas by a zealous painter who could not let it go to waste. The firelit room contrasted with the surroundings giving off a vibrant clash of colors.

"This is my dream. I'd love to travel someday, observing sights from a loft bed," The painter sounded sincere. Dave would've believed him if hadn't seen him try to kill a teenager. Or that lawyer who once in for all proved that parkour without safety measures can be fatal. No objections.