16. Confronting Feelings

"Bas do ghante. Samjha tu? Then you have to go back home and rest."

Mihir sighed. "Samajh gaya, mere baap," he told Ahil. "Ab Mai kuch kaam karun bhi ki ye do ghante sirf Tera lecture hi chalega?"

Ahil glared at him but left his office. Mihir sighed in relief. Finally, he could get some work done.

He looked at the files that had piled up in his absence. Maybe he could take a few home. If Ayaan caught him working, though, he would-

The door to his office opened suddenly. Mihir looked up as Annie practically ran in.

"Oh thank God, you're okay!" she exclaimed. Before Mihir could reply, she came up to him and threw her arms around him.

Mihir froze.

Annie hugged him tightly. Mihir has no idea what to do. Should he hug her back, or...?

"Um..Annie-"

"I was so worried!" Annie said. She pulled back but kept her hands on his chest. "Ahil sir informed us you were okay, but...aap sach mai theek hai na?" She looked him up and down. "Chot kaha aayi hai? Why are you back in office? Aap ko to rest karna chahiye! You look so pale, and-"

"Annie, slow down," Mihir cut her off gently. "I'm okay."

At that moment, Annie realised what she was doing. Immediately she stepped back. She looked away, blushing intensely.

Mihir had to stop himself from smiling. "I'm okay," he repeated instead. "Thank you for the concern, but koi gehri chot nahi aayi hai. I'm good."

Annie nodded. She felt like kicking herself. What the hell was wrong with her? How could she behave so inappropriately with her boss? "I...I'm so sorry Sir, Mai bas..."

"It's okay," Mihir said without thinking. "I don't mind." Annie looked up.

"I mean, it's-"Mihir stammered, flustered. "I just..."

Now it was Annie's turn to bite her lip to try not to laugh. Mihir noticed it, and had to smile at how cute Annie looked.

"Anyway, you tell me," he said, changing the subject and sparing them both the embarrassment, "how's everything in the office?"

"It's-it's all good, Sir," Annie replied. "I've managed everything. Ye saari files Maine check kar Li hai, you just have to go through them once and then sign them."

Mihir nodded. He moved to pick up one of the files but dropped it as a sudden pain coursed through his hand on taking it. "Ah!"

Annie straightened up. "What's wrong Sir?"

"Oh, it's nothing Annie," Mihir replied. He examined his hand. He had gotten a little gash on his right hand during the crash, but it had been patched up. When he'd picked up the file, the sharp edge had touched his wound.

"Oh God," Annie said worriedly, "You're bleeding Sir!"

Mihir sighed. He was remembering now that the doctor had told him to change the dressing on his wound. He'd forgotten to do so and now the bandage had come loose, allowing the piercing by the file to reopen his wound slightly.

"It's fine Annie," he said. "Choti si hi chot hai bas." He tried unsuccessfully to rewrap the loosened bandage around his hand.

"Kaha se choti chot hai Sir?" Annie exclaimed. She took his hand and examined it. "Khoon abhi bhi aa raha hai. Aap-aap baithiye. Let me see."

Mihir tried to protest but she made him sit and fetched the first aid box that Mihir kept in has office. Gently, she unwrapped the bandage and cleaned the wound.