2. The Secretary

"Good Morning everyone," Sasha said as she walked into the dining room and sat down.

"Good Morning," Alisha and Mihir, who were already seated, replied.

"Ab tabiyat kaisi hai, Sasha?" Mihir asked. Sasha had caught a cold a few days ago, and was just starting to recover.

"Abhi better hai, Bhai," Sasha replied, looking at something on her phone while the maid served her. Mihir nodded, happy to know she was feeling better.

Alisha looked behind her daughter. "Ayaan kahaan hai, Sasha?"

"Aata hi hoga, Mom. You know na, uske liye uthna kitna mushkil hai," Sasha said.

Alisha was disappointed. She did not like Ayaan's lazy attitude. If that boy was going to run the Sehgal Industries one day, he would have to be much more active and disciplined.

Mihir noticed Alisha's anger, and said, "Don't worry Mom, main use utha deta hoon."

Alisha was about to stop him when Ayaan himself walked in.

"Morning everyone!" Ayaan said. Not noticing his mother's anger, he shot Mihir a grin and sat down. Mihir shook his head, suppressing his smile. This kid would never change.

"Ho gayi subah tumhari, Ayaan?" Alisha said coldly. Ayaan gulped and looked down, not meeting his mother's eyes. Alisha shook her head. "Now finish your breakfast quickly. Driver tum dono ko college drop kardega. Aur Kal se alarm clock use karliya karo. You have to be more punctual, Ayaan. Na time ki fikar hai, na padhai mai interest. Marks dekhe he apne last exam ke? Learn how to work hard, Ayaan. Ab tum bacche nahi ho. Padhai pe focus karo."

"Yes, Mom." Ayaan said, looking down. Subah subah phir lecture mil gaya padhai pe. Ayaan hated studies, and had no interest in them. So he often got lectured by Alisha on that topic.

Mihir saw how sad Ayaan was on getting scolded. Not wanting his brother to go to college upset, he said, "Main chod doon college? Raaste main chaat khaate chalenge."

Ayaan's face lit up. It had been so long since he'd eaten out with his bhaiya-

"No," Alisha said firmly. "Ayaan late ho jaega. He will go straight to college."

"Actually college main fest ki preparation chal rahi hai to mujhe aaj first hour free hai," Ayaan said quickly. "It's fine, I'll go with bhaiya."

He smiled at Mihir, and Mihir was glad to see that his mood had imrpoved. He had never been able to see Ayaan sad or upset.

Alisha glared down at her breakfast, but said nothing. She had no good excuse to not allow Arush to go with Mihir. Meanwhile Sasha watched her brothers with interest. When her mother had told her about her twin brother's attachment with Mihir, she had said it wouldn't be a problem. But since then she had started to observe the two of them closely. And maybe Sasha had been wrong. Ayaan really was very close to Mihir. Too close, in Sasha's opinion. Her mom was right-they would have to fix that.

*

"This is so good, bhaiya!" Ayaan exclaimed, stuffing his mouth with more chat. "Oof, I missed these roadside adventures."

Mihir laughed at his little brother's excitement. "Zyada mat kha, warna beemar padh jaega," he warned.

But Ayaan waved off his concerns. "Kuch nahi hoga, bhaiya, main itni aasani se beemar nahi hota."

Mihir raised an eyebrow. "Acha? Isliye last week thoda theeka zyada khane par tera pet do din ke liye kharab tha?"

Ayaan made a face. "Kya bhiaya," he said, sulking, "mood kharab karna to koi aap se sekhe."