10. Disaster

A few days later, Mihir and Ayaan got ready for a party that was being thrown by the Sehgals' new business associates from America. Initially it had been the whole family that had planned to go, but Sasha had fallen ill, leading Alisha and Rashmi to stay at home to take care of her.

Ayaan wished it had been him that had fallen ill. The last thing he wanted to do was go to some boring business party, but his mom had insisted. She said it would be nice for him to meet their associates, and do some socializing. Not wanting to risk starting a fight with her, Ayaan had reluctantly agreed.

"Waise mai soch raha tha, bhaiya," Ayaan said as they reached their clients' house that night, "Mujhe poora time yahan rehne ki zaroorat hai kya? Kuch der baad mai thoda baahar ghum ke aa jau kya? Aap mujhe jaate time pick kar lena."

Mihir smiled at him. "Ji nahi. Aap party mai hi rahenge."

"Yaar please na bhaiya," Ayaan whined. "Mai kya hi karunga idhar itni der?"

Mihir threw an arm around his shoulder, walking them both towards the entrance. "Aur bahaar jaake kya karenga, hmm?"

Ayaan-"Kuch bhi. Alteast business ki baatain to nahi sunni padegi. Because I doubt aap aur kuch karonge aaj."

Mihir-"Kyu? Tujhe lagta hai hum sirf kaam ki hi baatai karte hai hamesha?"

Ayaan-"Lagta nahi, pata hai mujhe. Aap sab businessmen ek hi jaise hote ho-nihayati boring."

Mihir raised an eyebrow. "You think I'm boring?"

Ayaan gave him a cheeky smile. "Again, bhaiya, I don't think, I know."

Mihir laughed, whacking the back of Ayaan's head. "Chup kar. Bohot bolne laga hai aaj kal."

Ayaan huffed, rubbing his head.

In the end, the party had turned out as boring as Ayaan had expected. Mihir introduced him to everyone, including Mr. James, who was hosting the party. Ayaan had to repeat several times that he was doing fine, he was in college, and it was a pleasure to meet you too. He went through everything with a fixed smile. He hadn't known that business required so much polite socializing also. Another reason to hate it, in his opinion. The only good thing was seeing Annie again, although soon she also got busy with other business things.

After a while, Ayaan found a corner to sit in and was happily going through some new snaps he'd taken on his phone when he heard a voice.

"Well well well, look who it is."

Ayaan looked up, his mood instantly souring. Sagar Mehta stood in front of him, smirking. Two other well dressed boys that Ayaan did not recognize stood with him.

Ayaan put away his phone, standing up. He didn't want anything to do with the boy after what had happened in college. He tried to leave, but one of the boys blocked his path.

"Itni jaldi kya hai, Ayaan?" Sagar taunted. "Koi zaruri kaam hai kya?"

Ayaan glared at him. "What do you want, Sagar?"

"Mujhe kuch nahi chahiye," Sagar said, "mujhe to bas tujh se baat karni hai."

"Mujhe tujh se koi baat nahi karni," Ayaan snapped. "Just leave me alone."