Chapter 19 - Car's Outside

' I'm packin' my bags that I didn't unpack the last time
I'm sayin', "see you again" so many times it's becomin' my tag line
But you know the truth, I'd rather hold you
Than try to catch this flight
So many things I'd rather say
But for now, it's "goodbye" '

'Car's Outside' - James Arthur

*****************************

**At Chilkoot's**

"What are you drinking, Emily?" Kali asked once they had hung their jackets up in the cloakroom and made their ways towards the others who were already queuing at the bar waiting to get served.

"Erm...I'll probably just have another rosé. I need to go to the bathroom first, where are they? You go queue up, and I'll catch up with you in a bit."

"OK. They're just past the cloakroom, first on the left. I'll meet you at the bar. Rosé you said, in case I get served before you're back? You can get the next round in." Kali stuck her tongue out at Emily teasingly.

Emily rolled her eyes at her friend. "Yes, a rosé. Thanks, Kal."

Hoisting her bag up onto her shoulder, she made her way back towards the cloakroom, checking her phone as she went to see if Vanessa had responded to the text she had sent her earlier at the restaurant.

As she looked up to find the door to the bathroom, she bumped into someone coming out of the Guy's.

"Shit! I'm sorry. It's my fault for not looking where I was going and being rude." She apologised to the guy, quickly pocketing her phone.

"No, it's all good. You're fine." The guy smiled at her.

Emily froze for a second, thrown off by the accent. British.

"Oh. Are you British?" She enquired.

A smile formed on the guys face at her words. "I am indeed. I guess the accent is kind of a giveaway. Have you ever been?"

"To Britain, you mean?"

"No, Jupiter. Of course I mean Britain." He teased her, laughing.

Emily blushed at her stupidity. Sometimes, words just escaped her mouth without her having had a second chance to reconsider them. "Er...no. No, I haven't. It's just... I had an ex partner who was from the UK."

"Oh nice. I would ask where, but you'll probably say London."

She laughed before replying. "Yeah. He does live in London, actually. He's originally from er... Red Car, I think it's called. Somewhere in the North."

"Oh yeah, that's up in Yorkshire. I'm from a bit further down the country. The Midlands. I'm sorry. I haven't even introduced myself. I'm Rick." He held out his hand to Emily. She shook it.

"Nice to meet you, Rick. I'm Emily."

"It's nice to meet you too, Emily." He grinned again at her before gesturing over his shoulder towards the bar with his thumb. "Can I...er...get you a drink?"

"Erm... maybe later. But thank you. I'm with some friends. They're already waiting for me at the bar."

"OK, sure. No problem. Maybe I'll see you around a bit later?"

"Maybe." Emily smiled a soft smile at him before pushing the door to the bathroom open, seeing him return a soft one back.

************************************

Emily and the rest of the gang had found a table near the stage to sit at. Apparently it was open mic night at Chilkoot's, and although they weren't expecting the next Adele to be born out of Anchorage anytime soon, they thought they'd get as close to the action as they could. I mean. It was the main reason why everyone was there...right?