Chapter 5 - Disappointed

" Could it be that this time
We're just longing, longing for the first time
It's been such a long ride
Now we're slipping back again
No matter how we try to pretend

I could never be what you want me to be.
I'm just gonna leave you disappointed.
I could never be what you want me to be.
I'm just gonna leave you disappointed.
I could never see what you wanted from me.
All you're gonna be is disappointed.
I could never be what you want me to be.
I'm just gonna leave you disappointed. "

'Disappointed' - Ivy
************************************

Once they had arrived back at Emily's apartment complex, she let them both in.

Shannon took off his coat and hung it up on a peg in the hallway before turning to Emily.

"Would you like me to hang yours up for you, Em?"

"Oh, yeah, please. Thank you."

"So you're officially on maternity leave now then?"

"I am indeed." She undid her coat and handed it to Shannon, who took it from her and hung it next to his.

She walked into her kitchen and went to the fridge, taking out some beef jerky. Her cravings had started to get a tad strange now.

"Ew. Seriously!" Shannon exclaimed when he saw what she was eating. He came and took a seat at Emily's kitchen island.

"What?" Emily innocently questioned, coming to join him and picking up some of her post that she'd had lying around, looking at it.

A letter slipped out of the pile and fell on the floor. Emily didn't notice, but Shannon did, and he bent down to pick it up; pausing briefly when he recognised the handwriting as belonging to his brother.

"Erm... here." He told her, handing out the envelope to her.

"Oh, did I drop this?" She frowned, taking the paper from Shannon's hand having never seen it before.

"Yeah, you did." He slipped down from the stool he was on. "I'm just going to the bathroom."

"You know where it is, don't you?"

"I remember, yes."

Shannon walked off down her hallway to her guest bathroom and closed the door behind himself.

He didn't need the bathroom. What he did need was to message his brother to find out what he was up to.

'Jay,

What are you up to with Emily?
Why are you writing to her?'

He fired it off and could instantly see three dots, meaning that Jared was typing a reply. Shannon paused, waiting for a while to see what it would be.

The dots disappeared, and Shannon rolled his eyes. He thought he'd get a quick reply, but knowing how much his brother liked to be in control and always have the upper hand with people, it could come now, in 10 minutes, maybe even tomorrow if he was really caught up in a project.

Letting out a deep breath of frustration, he decided to give up. He knew he couldn't be in the bathroom much longer, or Emily would start to think he'd got lost. Or stuck.

He flushed the toilet, even though he didn't need to, and mock-washed his hands before returning back out to Emily's living room.

Flopping down on one of her large 'L'-shaped couches and propping his feet up on her coffee table.