Chapter 1 - Not Over You

" I should have been the one
To make you happy
But I didn't pass the test
Just like all the rest

And every time I cry
I hear you laughing
Though I wish you all the best
It doesn't hurt any less... "

'Not Over You'- Matt Cardle
************************************

**Emily's Last Day at Work/Baby Shower**

Emily was now 30 weeks pregnant, and today was her last day working at 'The Bay' before she left to go on maternity leave.

Kali had come along with her to some of her prenatal appointments where and when she could, and so far, Emily's baby had been growing nicely. He was a healthy weight and was measuring long, which had been no surprise to Emily as James was tall.

She had thought more seriously about names, now that she had become closer to her due date, and had finally decided on calling him Alex. It was simple and traditional, and that was exactly how she hoped everything would go with Alex's birth. Simply.

Most of the money she had earned, she had saved towards Alex and getting the nursery ready for him. Kali had given her a fair few things that she still had left over from when she had given birth to Caleb. She had a crib, changing table/mat and carrier. Mainly, all of the large items were sorted.

Kali had a friend who was an interior designer, and together the two of them had decided on a theme of moss green and cream, with a woodland theme and mythical creatures, to go along with the beautiful black, embroidered, linen baby blanket that Alessandro had gifted her.

She would have loved to have shared this with James, but he still hadn't replied to any of the messages that she had sent since leaving the Thirty Seconds to Mars tour, and as she had got nearer and nearer to her due date, she had tried calling again once more, but they got cancelled every time. She also resorted to trying to email him, but the emails just bounced back.

By now, Emily had resided herself to the fact that she was going to be a single mother, raising a little boy on her own with the help of Kali and her husband.

It wasn't the most ideal situation, but it was certainly something she felt that she was capable of doing.

Since she had moved back, Shannon had been in touch a few times, although Emily didn't think she deserved even an ounce of his time, but was touched that he had still wanted to keep in touch.

He had mentioned to her that he had started seeing someone, but that it wasn't serious. Emily hadn't really known how to respond to that. She was sad but knew it had all been her fault that they had split and that she shouldn't have done what she did with Jay.

Jay had been in touch more often than Shannon and was more concerned for her and the baby rather than trying to pursue anything romantic with her. To be honest, that was the last thing she was looking for with her little boy on the way. If anything, he was her first priority now. He was her one and only true love.

Pushing open the door to 'The Bay', Emily took a deep breath, she was going to be sad to be leaving here for a while, but she knew it wouldn't be forever, just, for now.

The scent of coffee flooded her nostrils, and she savoured the smell, wishing she could bottle it up and take it away with her. It was hard to believe that she had been working here after she had left school all those years back.

She hadn't even registered that the lights had been off until they suddenly flickered on and illuminated the room, whilst a chorus of 'CONGRATULATIONS!' rang out around the room, and she was greeted with lots of smiling faces; colleagues and regulars to the shop, with Kali at the forefront, grinning like the Cheshire Cat.