Chapter 9 - The Boy With The Moon And Star On His Head

" And in there lay the fairest little baby crying to be fed

I got down on my knees and kissed the moon and star on his head
As years went by the boy grew high and the village looked on in awe
They'd never seen anything like the boy with the moon and star before
And people would ride from far and wide just to seek the word he spread
I'll tell you everything I've learned, and Love is all...he said. "

'The Boy With the Moon and Star on His Head' - Cat Stevens

************************************

**Later that Evening**

"Alright, Mum. I'm gonna head off to bed, It's been a very long, eventful day for everyone. Have you heard from Jay? Did he get back to LA, ok?" Shannon reluctantly asked his mother as he stood up from the couch, trying to be the dutiful Big Brother in looking out for his Younger Brother.

"He's fine, arrived back about lunchtime. Oh, would you like me to—"

"No you're fine. Thanks." He smiled across at Constance before picking up his mother's empty coffee mug, along with his own and walking towards the kitchen with them. He could feel her eyes boring into his back as he did and could almost hear her brain clocking the words he had spoken to her.

"Are you sleeping in Emily's room then?"

There it was. The questioning and grilling that he knew was about to begin. Whilst he loved his mother dearly and appreciated her concern, he was 50 now and no longer the little boy he once was.

Bending to put the mugs in Emily's dishwasher and keeping his back to Constance, he replied. "I am. Emily suggested it to me as the couch isn't the most comfy."

"Do you think that's such a good idea, Shannon?"

"Mum. I'm 50. I'm not a child anymore. I do appreciate your concern though, but nothing is going to happen, she's completely exhausted and Alex will probably be keeping us up for most of the night. I'm solely here to help her out with Alex. When Emily first told me she was pregnant I said I would be there for her, and that's exactly what I am going to do. Is that OK with you?" He snapped slightly. He knew he shouldn't have, as his mother was only looking out for him as she didn't want him to get hurt, but he was getting fed up of being told what to do and how to feel.

"Just. Be careful, Shan. I'm only thinking of your feelings, and no matter how old you are I'm still going to worry about you, because that's what mother's do."

"I know, I know, and I appreciate that Mum. Look, you have the baby monitor don't you? I've moved my stuff from Emily's spare room to hers, so everything should be good for you."

"Ok. Well try and get some sleep and don't hesitate to call out to me for anything; you or Emily."

"Thank you. For everything. We both appreciate it. Sleep well. Love you." Shannon walked back from the kitchen back over to the recliner where Constance now sat and lent down to kiss her on the forehead.