[6] Percy's f̶l̶a̶w̶e̶d̶ flawless plan

Start from the beginning

Grover shook his head miserably. "I don't know. Kronos?"

"He can't be that powerful already. Can he?" Y/N frowned.

"I don't know," Grover said. "I think somebody would know if Kronos had re-formed. The gods would be more nervous. But still, it's weird, you having a nightmare the same night as Zoe. It's almost like—"

"They're connected," Percy said.

Over in the frozen meadow, a satyr skidded on his hooves as he chased after a redheaded tree nymph. She giggled and held out her arms as he ran toward her. Pop! She turned into a Scotch pine, and he kissed the trunk at top speed, "Ah, love," Grover said dreamily.

Y/N thought about Zoe's nightmare, which she'd had only a few hours after mine. "I've got to talk to Zoe," He said.

"Um, before you do..." Grover took something out of his coat pocket. It was a threefold display like a travel brochure. "You remember how it was weird the Hunters just happened to show up at Westover Hall? I think they might've been scouting us."

"Scouting us? What do you mean?" He handed Y/N the brochure. It was about the Hunters of Artemis. The front read, A WISE CHOICE FOR YOUR FUTURE! Inside were pictures of young maidens doing hunter stuff, chasing monsters, shooting bows. There were the captions: HEALTH BENEFITS: IMMORTALITY AND WHAT IT MEANS FOR YOU! and A BOY-FREE TOMORROW!

"I found that in Annabeth's backpack," Grover mentioned, glancing at Percy, who seemed to be trying not to cringe.

Y/N stared at him. "I don't understand."

"Well, it seems to me... maybe Annabeth was thinking about joining." Grover mumbled. Both Grover and Percy held their breath, as if Y/N was a bomb about to explode.

"Oh." Y/N stared at the brochure. "So, like, she would stay with the hunters forever."

"And NEVER see you again." Percy added.

"Huh." Y/N thought for a moment. If that's what Annabeth wanted, then what could he do about it? Besides, he only wanted to make people happy. And if joining the hunters is what would make Annabeth happy, then he would obviously want her to join.

Right?

It didn't feel right to him. Y/N tried for a smile, but it came out more like a smirk and a grimace. "Well, good for her, I guess." Grover and Percy immediately both facepalmed.

"Gods, is he really this braindead all the time?" Grover groaned.

"You have no idea." Percy mumbled.

.

.

.

The rest of the day, Y/N tried to keep busy, but instead he was worried sick about Annabeth.

He visited the pegasus stables, but Silena Beauregard from the Aphrodite cabin was having an argument with one of the Hunters, and Y/N had to break it up. After that, he sat in the empty chariot stands and sulked.

Despite being a pretty happy guy most of the time, Annabeth's absence had hurt him in more ways than one. It felt like a piece of him had fallen down the cliff with her. It felt like... well... not something he'd felt before. And it didn't feel good at all.

Down at the archery fields, Chiron was conducting target practice. Y/N knew he'd be the best person to talk to. Maybe he could give Y/N some advice, but something held him back. Y/N had a feeling Chiron would try to protect him, like he always did. He might not tell Y/N everything he knew.

He looked the other direction. At the top of Half-Blood Hill, Mr. D and Argus were feeding the baby dragon that guarded the Golden Fleece. Then it occurred to him: no one would be in the Big House. There was someone else... something else he could ask for guidance. His blood was humming in his ears as Y/N ran into the house and took the stairs.