Chapter 1

Sophie's POV

Hello, I'm Sophie Foster. I'm 24 years old and I work at a big food company in California. I have a boyfriend, Andrew, who works at the same company as me, but I am a somewhat higher ranking than him. We met because of our jobs. We kept things professional at work, knowing if we'd get caught our boss would make us write a letter to him explaining why we thought it was a good idea to show any PDA at work, or we'd get suspended for a couple days.

My boss was somewhat a pain in the butt. Fitz Vacker. His family was very rich, and he inherited the company from his father. He is so serious. I've never seen him crack a smile and was so stiff all the time.

I finished up and put all my papers into files. After cleaning everything up, I grabbed my bag and started leaving, but of course not without hearing a deep accented voice from behind.

"Ms. Foster, may I please have a word with you?" I nod, following him to his office.

He closed the door behind him and I stood in front of his desk. He sat in his large chair and grabbed a few papers.

"I would like to talk to you about your proposal." He started. I had worked so hard on it, I wasn't going to let him tell me anything.

"I worked very hard on it-"

"I know you did Ms. Foster, I brought you here to compliment you. This proposal is very well written and I can tell you put a lot of effort into it." I looked at his desk, blushing.

"Thank you sir." His panicked upwards revealing a small smile. I've never seen him smile before. I smiled back, quickly thanking.

"That's all for now. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thank you sir, I'll see you tomorrow," I left his office and made my way to the elevators. I stepped inside once it opened.

He actually smiled. Because of something that I did. I can't believe it, maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought.

I arrived on the ground floor and found Andrew in the car, and a woman too.

Once I took a good look at her face I realized it was a coworker of ours, Stacy. I've noticed she was always talking and laughing about something with Andrew and would always like to make conversation with him. Everyone knew she liked him, even though he was dating me. I had never wanted to say anything in case I was wrong, but right now it seems like I'm not.

Andrew pulled the window down and started talking.

"Hey Sophie! Stacy couldn't get a ride so I offered to give her one." I nodded. I took a seat in the back and stay in silence. When we arrived he just had to walk her to her apartment because Stacy asked him to and I waited for a few minutes for him to come back.

He entered the drivers seat and started making our way to my apartment.

"Sophie?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay? You seemed kind of mad." I shook my head.

"I'm fine."

"You don't sound fine. Is this because of Stacy?"

"No."

"You always give me short answers when you lie." He said, stopping at the red light.

"No I don't." He chuckled.

"If this is about Stacy, she's just a friend, you're the only girl I love. And she doesn't like me either."

"Then why is she always flirting with you?"

"No she isn't."

"Yes she does. You think I don't see her always touching you, laughing, making conversation with you?"

"Sophie, we're colleagues, what do you expect?" I can't believe he's taking her side.

"She needs to keep her distance! She needs to understand personal space."

"You're making a big deal out of nothing."

"Am I?" I ask, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Yes you are. She's only being friendly, so lay off her." I scoff. Of course he was going to take her side. We arrived at my apartment and I quickly left, closing the door. I heard him say something but I already left.

I went upstairs and headed inside my apartment, taking my shoes off and laying down on the sofa. Afterwards I heard the door open and saw one of my best friends, Linh standing, a smile on her face. We lived across the hall from each other so we usually just entered without even having to ask.

"Sophie! I'm so glad you're back! I've been so bored!"

"Why don't you go out?"

"I got lazy. So how was work?"

"Fine. But Andrew and I kind of got in a fight."

"What happened?"

"There's this girl at work, Stacy, and everyone knows that she likes Andrew. Even though it's not allowed, she's always touching him, always making conversation, and they're always laughing. Today Andrew gave a ride home for Stacy and even walked her to her apartment!"

"And what did he say?"

"He said it was only a friendly act and it was okay because they were colleagues."

"Sophie... I kind of agree with him."

"What?"

"Don't get me wrong, I'm always on your side but it only seems like a harmless little thing. Maybe they share jokes with each other and I'm sure they have to have conversations with each other because they're friends. And he walked her to her apartment to be kind."

"He never walks me to my apartment." She smirked.

"You're jealous."

"No I'm not! I'm just saying that I wish Stacy would just keep her hands off of him."

"Look Sophie, I understand you. If that were happening to me, I'd feel the same way, but the things you told didn't seem like anything other than friendly acts. Look, you've had a long day, just rest."

"I know I'm right."

"So. Is your boss getting better?"

"In what way?"

"You've told me he's very stiff and serious, has he let loose a bit?" I shrug.

"He complimented me about my work today. And he smiled."

"That's a step up! You know, he is kinda attractive." I subconsciously nodded. She smirked.

"Well, I mean not in that- no, well I mean-" I covered my red face with my hands.

"You like your boss."  

~

Hey guys! Welcome to the first chapter of Business Partners! I'm so excited to be finally writing this book! I'm predicting/hoping this will be at least more than 20 chapters, and as per usual I have the first 7-8 chapters already written so I will update more faster on them! Comment on how you like the story so far, and I'll see you in the next chapter! Byeeee!