"Alright then, take care," he bid, leaving her room. Yet, as the day wore on, he didn't return to check on Astelle.

• 🌸 •

As Kaizen reminisced about his past, he halted his stride, the forest around him enveloped in a serene, cool breeze. The fading sunlight cast its golden hue upon the verdant trees.

Lifting his gaze, he spotted Astelle seated on the grass, her knees drawn close. The sunset's gentle glow bathed her profile, revealing the white nape of her neck as she lifted her head.

Despite the graceful lines of her shoulders and back, she appeared notably thinner and frailer than before.

With hands as delicate as willow branches, Astelle meticulously gathered the herbs, displaying a grace that contrasted sharply with her aristocratic upbringing.

As the former Crown Prince's fiancée and the daughter of the empire's highest-ranking aristocrat, she was never inclined toward tending medicinal herbs or even caring for garden flowers. Even the flowers arranged in vases were handled by others.

Witnessing Astelle nonchalantly digging in the soil and plucking herbs was startling and pitiful to Kaizen. Though he knew of the hardships she faced, seeing the desolate environment she navigated firsthand was eye-opening.

Regret gnawed at him for his indifference toward Astelle after their divorce. He'd offered financial support, estates, and her grandfather's pensions, even intending to bestow a new mansion upon her grandfather, the Marquis, had she not adamantly refused.

In his reflection, Kaizen recognized Astelle's unwavering devotion during their engagement. She consistently strived to stand by his side, even going as far as saving him and injuring her finger in the process.

Despite the loveless nature of their engagement, Astelle had invested considerable effort. Yet, in his regret, he couldn't turn back time.

As Astelle, seated amidst her herb collection, sensed the approaching steps, she turned her head. Kaizen, a few paces away, drew closer, startling her as she lifted herself up.

Astelle's gaze met Kaizen's as he approached, his eyes strikingly red, reminiscent of blood. These were the same eyes she'd always known—proud and filled with his unwavering self-assuredness.

Silently, Kaizen removed his coat and draped it over Astelle's shoulders, covering her slender frame from shoulder to ankle with his long black coat. Confusion filled Astelle's mind as she hesitated, unsure of his sudden gesture.

"Your Majesty?" she questioned, perplexed by his unexpected action.

"Put it on. You're not well," Kaizen urged, his tone decisive.

Astelle wore a thin dress; she wasn't terribly cold, but the setting sun brought a slight chill. It wasn't cold enough to need the coat. Her thoughts raced, wondering why Kaizen was acting this way out of the blue.

Vellian, muddied from his work, observed the exchange with surprise.

Despite the light, opulent fabric, the emperor's coat provided an unexpected warmth to Astelle. With a composed gesture, Astelle neatly rolled up the coat and extended it back to Kaizen.

"Thank you for your concern, but I'm fine," she declined, politely refusing his offer.

"I take off my coat, but do you need to throw it away?" Kaizen's words carried a hint of frustration.

"I didn't throw it away," Astelle calmly responded, neatly arranging the coat before returning it to Kaizen.

His teeth clenched, Kaizen begrudgingly accepted the coat, muttering, "Huh... yeah, do whatever you want." Astelle remained resolute, unwilling to acquiesce to Kaizen's whims.

Moving at a measured pace, Astelle noticed a small white flower blooming nearby. With delicate precision, she plucked the tiny blossom nestled among the grass blades.

"Your Majesty, I found the flower," she called out, drawing Kaizen's attention. "I've gathered all the herbs required. It's time to return to the castle."

Kaizen, who had distanced himself by a few steps, turned and approached, his crimson gaze fixated on the flowers in Astelle's hand. With a cool demeanor, he observed her before suggesting, "Isn't it better to find a bit more?"

"This is sufficient," Astelle replied firmly. Her quest for medicinal herbs aimed to create a remedy for fever, and she was confident in her collection.

The discreetly gathered eye's medicinal herbs found their place within the basket, but further searching seemed risky. Astelle understood the urgency to return.

"Theor awaits, and I wish to head back to the castle now," Astelle voiced her desire.

"You're truly devoted to him," Kaizen observed, a sudden recollection flashing in his mind—the memories from the snowy forest, the frigid waters that had caused Astelle's subsequent fever.

The fever had shaken her entire being, leaving her trembling throughout the night. Astelle had hoped for Kaizen's visit after his return from the hunt, waiting eagerly as the day waned. Disappointed, she eventually relinquished any anticipation of his arrival.

Brushing off these futile reminiscences, Astelle responded candidly, "Of course. Theor needs me."

"Can we return to the castle now?" she asked, her tone expectant.

After a moment's pause, the response came, "Yes, let's head back to the castle."

Hiding the Emperor's Childजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें