12 │The stew

Começar do início

"I said, I'm sorry, didn't I?" If she only could disappear here and now, that'd be most appreciated.

"Oh, don't worry about that. You think our court pays any attention to these kinds of things?" He took a spoon from her. "I'm just surprised a human lady would be bold enough to swear that way. That's all."

Freya rose her chin higher like it was a challenge of some sort. "I'm not a regular lady. I'm bold enough to do a lot of things."

"I had that feeling when I first saw you with those piercing eyes, but honestly, you seem to surprise me every day even more." With his voice, a full bowl of fuming meal followed. She took it from him gladly. She was hungry as hell. Albeit, the Prince's words stirred something that made her pause for a moment, consumed by internal shivers. Maybe he didn't mean that as a compliment but she oddly wished it was one. She wanted it to be one.

Leander reached for his bag to retrieve a small loaf of bread. He tore it in half, giving her one piece, holding the other for himself.

"You're going to eat as well?" She asked with a curious frown. Cooking was one thing, but eating seemed a little bit greedy.

He chuckled. "Were you hoping to have it all to yourself?"

"Well, not going to lie... I had," Freya grinned.

"I have to disappoint you, then."

"Oh come on, isn't the blood enough for you creatures?" She shook her head, playing truly disappointed. But maybe she wasn't playing at all. The meal looked truly mouthwatering, and if she was to choose, she'd gladly have it all.

"It is, but why stop at that when I'm such a skilled cook?" He teased, eating already.

"I'm not going to comment on that. Your praising alone should be sufficient enough."

"Come on, Frey. One brief sentence to caress my ego."

She smiled but said nothing.

"Come on, darling."

"Na-ah." She shook her head with a smirk.

Already finished with his bowl, he stood up, ineffectively hiding his grin. "Cruel woman."

Knowing where he was aiming, Freya shot off from her spot and attacked the kettle, blocking him from reaching the stew. "My precious," she whispered looking at the fuming meat with a true devotion.

"And there I thought I wasn't getting any sweet talks from you."

She turned toward him, raising a single brow. "You're still not getting any."

He shrugged. "Been worth a try." He cleaned his bowl with water from his canteen and a towel, then gestured at the rest of the stew she was protecting like a lioness. "Fairly won, the rest is yours to eat. I'm going to look for Qadir, to wherever bushes chose to accommodate him. We're setting off as soon as we return."

"Alright." Freya managed to say even though her mouth was filled with food. Once she swallowed, she added, "Leander."

He held her gaze. "Hm?"

"Thank you... For everything." She managed to smile lightly although her heart was beating fast, thinking all of this couldn't simply be something his duty determined. Maybe that was him being friendly and respective in general, but somehow she felt like it'd be like saying nothing.

Whatever their connection was, it calmed her nerves and made her glad that it was he who got to accompany her to the vampire court alongside Qadir, not someone else. And gods forbid—some second Qadir person. Ugh. That would truly be a disaster.

Leander smiled in return but stayed silent. His eyes were pure indication that deep down, her words had some sort of impact. One blink later he disappeared, leaving Freya alone with her thoughts.

And the stew.

Oh, holy heavens. The stew all to herself...

 The stew all to herself