Unexpected stop

Jude's POV:

     Walking through the hallways was always very calming. Everyone would be doing their own stuff, morning their own business while I could scheme on my next move.

     Well, not today. Cardan - he was tailing behind my back and I'm surprised. Not because he followed me, but because of how quiet he was. He had gotten better at sneaking around and it took me a while to actually figure out he was behind me.

     Looks of shock and whispers echo through the hallways as I walk. Why are they so surprised? Surely they should know that I am the crown and definitely not in exile. Right?

     Surely Cardan must've told them everything while I was away right? Since he was basically begging for me to come back. I slightly smirk at that thought.

     Cardan. Writing furiously on a piece of paper just for me to come back.

     Oh how I would have loved to see the thought of that.

--

     I enter the revel happening right now.  It was loud. Full of music played by mortals and people chewing on food while singing along to the music.

     The moment I step in, I can already feel multiple glares at me. As if they're saying,

Who dares disturb the revel?

     My cheeks heat up in slight embarrassment as I turn back to Cardan. He should be able to sense my confusion through my eyes.

     He steps in front of me, immediately making everyone hush their whispers with a raise of his hand. I narrow my eyes. Watching his next move as my hand slowly comes in grip with the hilt of Night fell.

     He walks up to the throne, everyone stepping beside, leaving him a clear path. I do not follow him.

Big mistake

     Someone notices me, and grabs my arm. Out of reflexes, I draw out my sword and hover it over the person's neck. Another person grips my other arm, stopping me from going any further in defending myself.

     Great. I have been in the mortal world for so long that I have become less conscious about my surroundings.

     I look up to Cardan, pleading for help as commotion starts and everyone surrounds me and the two people holding me.

"Do not touch her. "

     I hear Cardan's voice. Deep with fury and glamour, though it would not work on Fae.

"She is my wife. The rightful High Queen of Elfhame," he continues.

     "And most definitely not in exile." He ends his sentence and the people holding me let's go. Cardan smirks and I feel the heat on my skin as I walk out of the revel. I can already feel the frown on his face as I hear him get up to follow me.

--

     While walking through the hallway in embarrassment, Cardan tails behind me. Though I am glad he announced - that. I could handle myself. I sigh, thinking deeply on what to do now.

     I didn't notice this, but I hit a dead end. I reached the end of the hallway, and there were just a few bookshelves with dusted books that were probably very old. The end of the hallway was dimly lit. I turn around to face Cardan.

     "Thank you. For doing what you did, even though-" I get cut off by him drinking more wine, not paying any mind to what I'm saying.

     "I always wanted to go here with you," he says, chugging another sip of wine, then he continues. "There's a secret passage way down here."

"What?"

     He walks past me, his hand brushing against mine. He slightly tugs at the old bookshelf, and it moves. Like magic. He walks through a passageway - taht was really dark. And thanks to my mortalness, I could not see and constantly bumped my head. I frown, but continue to follow him.

     Inside, is a dimly lit room. It had one light in the colour of beige or linen, which covered the entire small room. It had a small couch, and a glass table. It seemed that this place was used for secret meetings and... other things.

     He places his now-empty wine glass down onto the table in the corner, and sits down on the couch. He uses his hand, beckoning for me to come. So I sit beside him.

     He uses his arm to bring me closer and I instantly melt. I lay my head on his bare chest. Some of his top buttons were unbuttoned. Suddenly, I thought of Nicasia. Did he do anything with her? A pang of jealousy courses through me and I frown.

"What is on your mind, my sweet nemesis?"

"Nothing." I don't want to tell him I feel jealous.

     As if he can sense my emotions, he grins and brings me closer. "I didn't do anything with Nicasia, if that's what you're asking."

"Why wouldn't you?" I ask.

"Too busy being yours to fall for somebody new."

--
I think I wrote much more today for this chapter. Thank you to the person who told me to update, it has given me motivation :)

And did you see what I did on the last line? 😉