𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕴

Start from the beginning

I entered the work and greeted everyone, getting ready to dive into my daily tasks. A day like every day spent checking the targets, having a short reunion with the employees to discuss some matters, contacting the transport company about renewing the contract and so on, right until the evening, when we quit the company altogether. I wished Sarah could arrive before we quit, but she informed me that she wouldn't make it earlier. At least I'll meet her later in the pub. In two cars we went to the pub.

We parked and quit the car, ready to go inside and have some fun. I ignored their relief about having a weekend off, I knew I wouldn't have it, because of my own wish, but work was very important for me. I needed to take care of some things tomorrow, with my initiative. We were just crossing the street until the sound of a car's engine became too loud. I heard a short scream of fear, got caught by the arm, and got pulled to the sidewalk all of a sudden by Matthew, our new coworker. The car barely missed me at full speed, I could feel the air flowing on my blouse when it passed by. It almost ran me over.

I opened my eyes wide, looking at the car and then at Matthew.

''What the fuck! I guess this guy is drunk, he almost killed someone!'' I heard Liam's rant. He pulled his phone out. ''I didn't see enough of his plates, but surely it was Kia.''

''Oh, forget it, it's Friday night in New Orleans. I bet the cops had much more work to do'' Andrea commented, coming next to Liam.

''Are you alright, Ms. Creed?'' Matt asked me and I nodded, still surprised I was so close to being sent to a hospital. Or a coffin.

''Yeah... Thank you. And call me Leticia, especially outside the company'' I replied. My voice slightly shook, which caused Andrea to come closer to me for a hug. I hugged her back, murmuring my thanks to her. I could also hear Liam call 911 anyway.

''Let's go inside, try to think about anything else than a drunk idiot'' I suggested.

***

The memory of the car remained alive in my head. The pull, the yell, the car's engine. I was close to getting heavily injured or even worse. The second option was not really new for me. Reminded me of that day in my past, when it was also dark and chaotic around me, the day my parents came, with their intervention. The period in my past I wanted to forget about, but also I wanted to remember my whole life, to not repeat the same mistake.

Even the car was similar. Surely different, not the same one, but its appearance was similar. The color, the type, the size...

I blinked, being snapped out of my thoughts by a sudden noise. Or rather, someone's raised voice.

''Unbelievable, they are together again? They barely broke up and claimed to never be together again!'' Andrea exclaimed when Liam told us about the news from the life of our former coworker. I remember her, she quit the work because she felt burnt out and needed change, something new and completely different from tourism.

''Did she mention anything about her new job?'' I asked in curiosity, taking a sip of my already second drink.

''Not really. I'm wondering if she even has a job.''

''Pity. I wished her so well'' I sighed, staring at the glass. I couldn't drink much, I had work to do tomorrow. I'll be dying due to the hangover, if I will drink as much as others planned.

The plan was good, but its execution got screwed up. After two hours I was already pretty drunk, had enough drinks as well as a tendency to get drunk quite fast.

Who would have thought, that one spontaneous thought would turn into such a nice evening? Not mentioning the car, obviously. We had a gathering in the conference room a week ago. Then at the end of it, Andrea threw the idea of going out somewhere as a team. I supported this idea, not really planning to participate, but I had to finally accompany them. They were important for me. That was a thing I learned from my parents, something that was an obstacle for another company, where I was working before. The employees were humans, they had feelings, energy, their limits. I was probably the most enjoyed team leader there, although the manager despised my attitude, stating that I had to be fierce, serious, and overwhelming when it came to leading the team. In his world, it was the way to have authority and be considered serious. For me, it was all bullshit. Would anyone dare to say I don't have authority in my team? Or that I was treated completely like a friend? I was a friend, but I was their boss as well. The one that had their sympathy and loyalty. This was a success on its own for me.

It was also why I enjoyed my job. I like what I'm doing, I feel motivated when I get up every day, knowing that there is a team that can count on me, the company that needs me. I didn't have this feeling in my previous work. Also, my work had a value I could feel every time. The mission. Someone needed to steer this department and care about the contracts, the employees, the reports, the sales, the issues, and the offers. It was my responsibility, as its manager.

I looked at the phone, noticing a new message. It was Sarah, asking me to come to the restroom, telling me she had big news for me, and she wanted to tell me that face to face, only two of us. I excused my coworkers and got up, going to the restroom, passing by various tables occupied by different people, until I reached the restroom. My eyes could almost rest in its penumbra, the lights were on the wall, creating an enjoyable atmosphere. Enough light to correct your makeup, check if you look fine, or simply do your outfit. The lights in the cabins were probably inside, that's what I remembered from my last visit here a month ago.

I smiled, noticing a woman under the wall. I missed Sarah when she had longer delegations like this one. I would recognize this long, wavy hair of hers everywhere, the light in the penumbra creating an interesting impression of color on her hair. I almost jumped at her, with a plan in my head to hug her from behind. I almost didn't notice the moment she took both my wrists, turning to me and I fell onto her, with my lips accidentally connecting with hers. In the state of my inebriation and its surge of boldness, I decided to kiss her, since we had our short episode in the friendship, and we were used to joking about it. She even kissed back. But then I felt the perfumes. Blackcurrant, ginger, pomelo... Strong and yet sweet. Bold like Sarah, but still not her type.

''How could you not tell me, your best of all the best friends, about you having someone!'' I heard a familiar voice. But why was it coming from the door?

I opened my eyes and I froze. The girl I kissed was not Sarah. In another moment, I got pinned to the wall by my wrists, staring into the brown eyes accentuated by thick eyeliner. The hair I considered to be dark red in the shadow was actually dark brown. The only thing that matched them both was a pale complexion and skin as smooth as porcelain. Maybe that girl's skin was even smoother than Sarah's. I was out of my words, trying to realize what the hell just happened.

''So impatient are we?'' The girl said to me, with a low, but attractive and certainly melodic voice, almost husky, ethereal.

She released my wrists and looked at me with a playful smile.

''So sweet'' She added, almost teasingly, looking at my lips, before she turned on her heel and quit the restroom, passing by Sarah with that playful smile still on her face, leaving me astonished. What was even worse, I could already notice Sarah was going to explode in excitement in a second.

''How could you not tell me?!'' She asked again, almost running to me.

''About what?'' I asked bluntly, causing her to facepalm. I sobered in an instant, due to the incident, but now I was shocked.

''About your new romance? Relationship? Or simply a one-night stand? You're red like a tomato, dear'' She replied, clearly impatient. ''What's her name?''

''I don't know! I thought it was you, and then I fell on her and the lips and...'' I started speaking, but in chaos, trying to get my ground again. ''I kissed just wanting to mess with you and-''

''Oh come on, am I supposed to believe it?'' She replied with a laugh. ''Come on, don't be shy. I know I'm hot, but don't blame the mistake.''

''But I'm telling you the truth!'' I exclaimed, earning another laugh.

''Whatever, I'll find out anyway. Forget my news, now it's completely faded in comparison with your new burning romance!'' She continued.

I rolled my eyes up with a tired expression. I kissed a girl, not even knowing her name, seeing her first time in my life, and yet due to the mistake, alcohol, and spontaneity. I was already terribly embarrassed just because of this fact. Now Sarah was one hundred percent sure I had a girlfriend and then the whole department would know because of her!

Can this car please come back and kill me?