Chapter 18: No Offence

TARIQ FALED

"What is your relationship like with your family? I don't know much about them. I have heard Ahvi talk about them a few times but that's it," Eman said. She looked at ease now and I felt a knot in my chest loosen. She had looked so disheveled at the beginning of this meeting that I had almost called it off.

"My mother lives with my stepfather in our old house in New Mulliton. I have a great relationship with her, alhamdulillah. I can always count on her to be there for me and she can do the same. My father died when I was eighteen and my sister Alina, lives in Dubai with her husband. I had a loving relationship with Baba, too. But I can't say the same for my sister." I responded truthfully.

I didn't want Eman to realize later in the relationship how toxic my sister was and that I tended to avoid her at all costs sometimes.

"I've heard a little about Alina. I hear that she can be difficult." Eman's voice was hesitant. She was afraid to be rude, I realized.

"What you've heard is correct." I shrugged. "Alina has a very materialistic outlook on life. I know she means well when she tries to get me to see the world through her eyes but it can be...annoying at times."

"Older sisters can be like that. I have one at home, so I feel your pain." She rolled her eyes. Eman's older sister, Nikhat, could be quite bossy from what I'd heard about her. And seen. I was invited to her wedding last year and I could confirm that Nikhat was Eman's version of Alina.

"So, we have crazy older sisters in common." I joked, earning a chuckle from Eman.

"I guess we do." She nodded, draining her coffee. Glancing at her wristwatch, she turned her gaze to me again. "I really enjoyed talking to you today."

"Me, too." I couldn't help the smile that took over my face. "I am so glad you decided to give my proposal a chance."

"Me, too," She replied. Sincerity and certainty rang through her words, bringing me a huge sense of relief and happiness. I had been more scared for this mulaqat than I would have liked to admit. Hearing that Eman enjoyed her time with me today gave me the courage and encouragement to pursue her further. And I was more sure than ever now that I wanted her in my life, for as long as I lived.

~.~.~.~

I walked into my office the next morning, going through my schedule for the day that Riaz had mailed me only a few moments ago. But when I glanced up, I paused, frowning.

Jace, Warren, and Ren were already here, identical grins on their faces at the sight of me. My frown deepened as I slowly made my way to my desk, their eyes tracking every movement I made.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Ren said, sitting on his hands as if he was afraid they would do something he'd regret.

"Good morning?" I looked at the three of them one by one in confusion before turning my attention to my phone.

"So, how are you this morning, Tariq?" Warren was the one who spoke this time.

"I'm fine. Alhamdulillah." I shot him a weird look which he seemed to ignore. I didn't know what was going on here but it was mighty weird and was making me uncomfortable by the moment.

"I'm fine, too." Jace piped in.

"Good for you?" The words came out as a question as I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Yes, yes. Good for me." He stretched his arms over his head, groaning as he did. "So, Tariq. Do you want to...maybe tell us something?" He added once he had relaxed again.

I glanced at him, trying to search my brain for any news I had to share with them this morning but I didn't find any. "No. I don't think so." I shook my head as I sat down in my chair. "What are you guys doing here?" I asked because I was pretty sure they had a busy day today. Ahvi had agreed to help out with Gianna's business again and we were going to pull up a contract for the same.