Chapter 20: Mercy

TW: Talk of violence, torture, and smut.

He took a deep breath and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"After our argument, I went to the Astronomy tower to smoke. My father was up there. He found out I was with someone. He wanted to make you have his heir through me. Of course I-"

My eyes widened.

"What..?"

I managed to choke out words.

Mattheo takes my hand.

"He wanted me to basically get you pregnant and then give the baby to him. Then raise him to be the next heir. Once he found out I fell in love with you he saw me as 'tainted' I guess. I obviously said no and if he laid a hand on you I would kill him."

I catch my breath as my heart drops to my stomach like I'm on a rollercoaster about to drop, maybe to my death.

"So we're targets.."

He sighs.

"I won't let anyone hurt you darling. Not without fighting like hell or some people dying."

I motioned my hand forward so he knew to continue the story.

"After the astronomy tower situation I realized he would eventually come for you so I ran to find you but I was intercepted by Bellatrix. He tortured me. Tried to get me to tell him your name and all that jazz. I never slipped anything."

He looks at me with a gaze that is blurred with tears.

"All I ever thought about was you when I was getting tortured. If you were ok, who would make a move, go after you. Those were the hardest moments of my life."

He holds in tears as I try to comfort him, guilt slowly filling my being as I take a deep breath.

"Before you say anything else, I want to be honest with you."

He played with his ring.

"I know about Enzo. He told me. He swore never to do it again. He just wanted you safe. I am not mad at you. You were hurting."

God what I would give to turn back the damn clock now.

"Mattheo, I'm so sorry. I was hurting but it gave me no excuse-"

A tear fell from his face. He brushed his fingers through my hair.

"I don't care. I understand and forgive you. I just want to hold you. I want to make sure you're real..."

He finally lets go of his tears as I hold him. I wish I could take away his pain and throw it off a fucking cliff.

I touched his scar and started to speak.

"I would do anything to turn back the clock, to handle that argument differently. I'm sorry if you ever felt like you weren't more than I could ever ask for, because that's what you are, more than anything I could have wished for on a star or dreamt up on a perfect night of sleep."

"Great analogies love."

He looked up at me and kissed me softly. I slowly kissed back.

"Mattheo your hurt."

He looks down at the bruises and stitches attached to his body like unwanted bees to honey.

"And that's an issue because?"

I laugh and get up off the couch.

"I will not re-open the stitches I worked so hard to do. I also couldn't bear the thought of you being in pain with me in bed when all there should be is pleasure."