Chapter | Twenty six

Start from the beginning

She covers her mouth and shakes her head, "Nuh uh". I can see that ketchup and ice cream managed to find its way on her shirt. Fortunately, I brought a change of clothes for her.

"Are you done, sweetheart?" She nods, pushing her wild hair out of her face."What is the last thing you want to do before we go over to the beach?".

"That!" her finger is aiming at the stall where you play games and win prizes. It can be rigged a lot of times. If she wants to do it then who am I to say no her. This day is all for her.

-||-

We leave the boardwalk and head over to the beach. Mary is holding one of the prizes Dario won for her. A small fox squishmallow and he is holding a large octopus. We should have put that one in the car. I set a blanket down for us and removed my clothes, revealing my red one piece bathing suit with the open back. Mary witnessed it and starts taking off hers as well. I thought it would be adorable that we wear the same color bathing suit.

"Come here, honey," she makes her way over as her feet sinks in the sand. I tie her hair up and apply more sunscreen on her and myself. I give her the green light and she runs up to the shallow end, testing the water. Dario has already made his way in the water, showing off his swimming skills. Mary contemplates—she waves her hand over, then point to me then herself. "You want me to goin with you sweet girl?" She nods. I march towards Mary and follow her lead to the not so shallow and not deep part of the waters. The temperature is just right for summer. I convert by submerging my whole body. When I emerge, I decipher giggles from a familiar voice.

I almost lost it.

"Why are you being giggly today? huh?" I tickle her sides. She laughs louder.

"Cause you silly," she laughs, trying to push my hands away.

"Me? Silly. You're a silly girl," I tickle her more. Soon, she copies me by going under water. Suddenly, she pops up and does a sneak attack by splash me in the face.

"Hey!" I playfully yell. The smile is wiped from her face and her posture change.

"I'm not mad, sweetie," I begin to rub her back and embrace her. Before I can look back, Dario grabs me by my waist and lift me up. It shocked me when he kissed my lips then dump me in the water. I hear loud laughing from her, it sounds so innocent. That's how I know that there is something different about her today."You sneaky girl, this was your plan all along. Wasn't it?".

"It was Dario!" she points out. I stare at him intensely.

"Let's run away from the sea witch," I hear Dario yell to Mary. I watch her doggy paddle to Dario and climb on his back, so they can swim away from me.

"I'm coming for you," I play along. I thought I wouldn't be able to catch-up because Dario is taller and faster than me, but I knew he wouldn't go far because of the waves. Unexpectedly, they came to a halt. I reach them and grab Mary.

"I caught the little mermaid. What's your excuse?" I say, holding Mary in a bridal style position.

"I caught a cramp," he hisses. He is holding onto his quads.

"Awe, Poverino," I poke my lip out.

"Poverino," she mimics. I blow a raspberry on her cheek. Causing her to snort.