˚₊‧꒰ა Chapter 1: Feya ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

Feya

"Do you not take a break, child?" Annie asks me as soon as I step into the shop.

She walks up to me, slightly covered in flour, from baking the pastries for the day and gives me one of her famous hugs.

Annie's hugs are the bestest ever. The warmest, most comforting cocoon in the world.

"You know I can't, Annie." I lightly chuckle as we detach.

Giving me an understanding smile, she turns around to go back to her previous baking.

"At least with all this work you do, you don't have time to get caught up in the shenanigans kids your age are doing. God knows these men are filthy dogs," she adds with a scoff.

Bursting out laughing, I go to drop off my bag and get ready to start my shift.

I put on my apron and make my way to set up the chairs and tables at the front.

"They're not that bad," I say as I pass by her.

"Oh, yes, they are," she sings loud enough for me to hear from the floor.

Chuckling, I shake my head and start putting down the chairs that were set on top of the tables at the closing shift yesterday.

Annie has owned Charlie's coffee shop since before I was even born. It used to be her husband's, hence the name, but he sadly passed away 10 years ago. Either way, the store has been in her name since the day he met her. Yes. The day they met. He told me he knew she was his soulmate, so he just put his life's work in the hands of the woman he loves.

I might not think that it's the most responsible thing to do now, but when I was ten, I wholeheartedly thought they were the epitome of romance.

I grew up in this coffee shop with them, and Charlie's death had affected me in an unimaginable way, but Annie and I kept each other standing. I don't think we could've survived without each other. We're family, and I love her with all my heart. Which is why, when I asked for a job, she immediately said yes and put me to work.

Finishing with the floor work, I start to prepare the bar by setting up the espresso and coffee beans in their respective machines and turning them on to start the first batch. Once that's done, I make sure the syrups are in their individual places and arrange the toppings, cups, straws, cupholders, napkins, and pastry bags.

As I'm wiping down the counters and opening the cash register, Annie gradually comes out of the back with the first wave of pastries, muffins, and breakfast sandwiches.

We have this routine down to a T so that by the end of it, we are both ready to open the store to the early birds and welcome in our customers.

Unlocking the café's door, Annie turns to me, hands on her hips, with her wrinkly smile and her warm hazel eyes staring back at me.

"Let's get this day started!" She says enthusiastically.

Smiling back at her, I nod once and mentally prepare myself for the bombardment of people that will soon be here.

₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊

Ugh my feet hurt.

The shop has finally calmed down. Only a few people are left, and I can finally have a moment to myself. Like, damn people, can't a girl breathe for two seconds? I lean back on the counter and briefly close my eyes as I exhale a slow breath. Opening my eyes, I roam my gaze over the store. It has a beautifully calm vibe. I genuinely love this place. It's so homey and well decorated.