9 - Holding On

The strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors, and fight battles that nobody knows about.

Two Weeks Earlier

The cold night wind blew your hair, ruining your perfect curls but you didn't seem to mind it. You stretched out both your arms to the air, breathing it in.

That night's view was breath-taking — the stars blanketing the pitch black sky, outlining the cityscape and its perfect reflection on the still waters — and you right there in front of me donning that little white dress, smiling in delight while my eyes are fixed on you. I couldn't think of a better way of celebrating the two of us together than with a dinner date on a yacht.

Yet, something was bugging me. You haven't said it — those three words.

"Josh, look!" you said pulling my arm and you pointed towards the brightest star in the sky.

"It's my favorite star," you told me.

I look at it then back at you and smiled.

"Alam mo, I always believed na lahat ng tao, nagiging star."

I furrowed my eyebrows at that weird remark of yours and you just laughed it off.

"Bakit? Walang imposible. Someday, makikita mo," you assured me.

"So lahat ng star na 'yan na nakikita natin..." I said and you interrupted me.

"Lahat 'yan mga ninuno natin."

I chuckled, shaking my head. You're such a weirdo, I thought.

"Someday, I'll be up there, Josh. You'll see."

Your eyes glimmered differently as you uttered that last remark.

***

Present

As we run towards the car, everything around me goes blurry. I hear the fans' clamor in a slowed low-pitch sound, as if everything is in slow motion. I shield my eyes from the blinding flashes of their cameras.

We enter the van and Dustin closes it after me.

That's when I break.

My friends know what is going on and the four of them gather around to console me.

I shake my head as tears stream down from my eyes, unable to hold them back any longer.

***

[Author's Note:

Hi, reader! Before you continue reading the next parts, be sure to have a hanky or tissue beside you to wipe your tears with because this is going to be very emotional.

This chapter's soundtrack is:

Song: Hold On | Artist: David Archuleta

Check out the Spotify link in the comment.]

***

A Week Earlier

"I don't understand. Paano niya natago sa'yo at sa akin ang tungkol dito?" I berated the already distressed nurse after we found out something you had been keeping from us.

Earlier, when she went to your bathroom, she saw a pile of discarded tissue papers in the trash with dark red fluid on them, yet, she seemed quite certain that you weren't on your period because she's been keeping chart of all your physiological conditions.

We had a huge fight that night because I just couldn't handle you keeping secrets from me as if you did not trust me enough.

"I'm taking you to the hospital — now!" I bellowed startling you and causing you to step back.