3 - The Lie

One lie is all it takes for someone to lose their faith in you.

Present

On my way to work, I look at the empty passenger seat beside me. I've never imagined anyone else sitting on this seat but you.

I miss you. I miss our banters every time you were on this seat right beside me, giving me playful punches as we fooled around. How I wish things had turned out differently.

I stop, parking the vehicle in front of the building where I work. As I enter, the guard greets me and I write down on the log, then I wait for the elevator. When it opens in front of me, I get surprised to see a familiar face.

She is equally surprised when she sees me. I thought she is still touring out of the country.

We lock eyes for a moment before she looks away and walks past me, avoiding me as I stand there looking like an idiot.

Shaira has the right to stay mad at me for as long as she wants. I hurt her just as much as I hurt you.

Feeling defeated, I enter the elevator and pushed the button to the 9th level. Paul and the others are expecting me.

We gather around a long table inside the meeting room all four of us and three other staff members, facing Paul, our CEO.

"We are in need of a screenwriter for this project. We've been interviewing and testing candidates but not one of them has the kind of approach that we are looking for."

He looks at me like he is trying to tell me something. I furrow my brows, then he looks away and faces the others.

Deep down, I know why Paul looked at me that way. He was trying to tell me that if only you were around, we wouldn't be having this problem.

They miss you, too, Ali.

We've been preparing for this project for the last couple of months. The goal is to introduce Angel Raphael Children's Center to the rest of the country and even the world, and to raise funds for the medical needs of the children under its care.

Yes, Ali. You're the inspiration behind this project. I'll forever be grateful that you opened my mind and my heart for this.

I came back after zoning out. Skye is shaking me.

"Huy, Josh. Tinatanong ka ni Paul," he says.

He snaps his fingers. "Focus, man."

"Ano 'yon?" I shake my thoughts away.

"I was asking you kung alam mo na ba na nandito na sina Shaira?" He looks at me with concern.

"Ah — oo," I nod. "Nagkasalubong kami kanina sa elevator."

Paul looks at me in silence as if waiting to hear more.

"Makakasama natin sila sa fund-raising event na ito. Please tell me that won't have any negative effect on you," he says.

I shake my head.

"Wala — wala na 'yun. Matagal na 'yun," I tell them and Paul nods.

An hour passes and they leave the meeting room except me and Paul. He said he wanted to talk to me alone.

We sit opposite each other. After two minutes of awkward silence, he asks "Kumusta ka?"

I shrug and tell him "Coping."

He quietly nods. "Matagal na kitang gustong makausap tungkol sa issue kay Shaira. Nasa iisang industry lang tayo, hindi maiiwasan na makakatrabaho natin siya o 'yung grupo niya. That's why I just wanted to make sure na talagang wala nang ilangan sa inyo kasi baka maapektuhan pa no'n ang pakikisama natin sa kanila."

"Honestly," I say, "Hindi pa siya okay. Hindi pa kami okay. Hindi kami nag-uusap. Ni hindi niya nga ako matingnan."

Paul leans closer and looks at me with all seriousness. "She agreed to do this project kahit alam niyang kay Ali originally nanggaling ang idea na 'to. I asked her why."

I nod. "Ano'ng sabi niya?"

"Ang sabi niya it's the least she could do for her after everything that happened."

I start to get teary-eyed.

Then Paul asks, "Ano ba talaga ang nangyari sa inyong tatlo?"

It's so hard to look back at that thing that I did that caused all these mayhem, but I have to. For me to totally forgive myself, I have to look back.

Everything turns blurry and I start to remember.

***

Past

The internet exploded with the rumour about me and Shaira supported with photos that strangers took of the two of us together in different places and different times. How did I not see that happening? Like I said, I didn't know any better.

You had not been returning any of my calls or responding to my texts for almost a month. It was normal for me to worry about your well-being but the real question was did you already know? Had you already seen those photos?

I went to your place hoping to speak with you in person and settle this once and for all only to find out that you had moved out. That's when I felt a weight in my chest. Why did you need to move? You always said that you find that place convenient and it had everything you needed.

After three consecutive days of failed attempts of reaching you, I lay down on my bed, thinking about giving up. Then, I heard my phone ring.

I almost did not recognize your voice.

"Hi," your voice sounded weak.

"Ali?" You confirmed by saying "Yes, it's me."

"Ano'ng nangyari sa'yo? Bakit hindi mo sinasagot 'yung mga tawag at text ko?" I demanded for an answer as if I was not the one who did something wrong — playing the victim as usual.

"Sorry. Ang dami lang kasing nangyari," you said. I could have sworn your voice sounded different.

"Is everything all right?" I got out of bed and paced across the room.

"For most part." Your breath sounded heavy on the other line.

"Ali, alam mo na ba?" I reluctantly asked. It felt to me like that was the reason you had been ignoring me all those times.

"I heard," is all you said.

I knew it wasn't a good idea but still, I asked that stupid question. "Are you okay?" Then I held my face. I felt like an idiot.

Your voice was so calm despite my impudence. "Oo naman. Bakit?"

It almost sounded like you were forcing a smile.

"Ali, I'm sorry." I know, I was being a complete jerk.

You chuckle softly. "Josh, alam kong screenwriter lang ako but I know how this industry works — all the drama." It felt like you just rolled your eyes.

Then the line went quiet.

"I knew, Josh," you finally said. "Bago pa kumalat 'yung photos n'yo, alam ko na."

I was stunned. You knew I was dating Shaira while we were going out as well but you did not say anything.

"Kaya nagpakalayo ako. Kasi ayaw kong makasakit ng ibang tao," you told me.

All those times, you knew, and you chose to distance yourself from me. You had always been the bigger person, Ali, and I had always been the biggest jerk.

I was thinking what would happen to us. Shaira found out about us, too, just before the photos of us circulated. What is it with women and their instincts?

It was as if the skies collided over me. What are you going to do now, Josh, I thought to myself.

***
***
***
***
***

Thank you for finishing this chapter! Don't forget to vote for it and add this story to your Reading List. More chapters await. Happy reading!
- AE Topes