2 - A Flock of Angels

When we are in the right place at the wrong time, we might feel like we've missed our chance, but as it has always been said, the right person will always find a way back to you.

Past

It was not the right time. I knew that deep down but still, I desired for it to happen, to spark something between us — something more than friendship.

I guess I just got so used to always getting what I want even at the expense of hurting others. I'm sorry. I did not know any better.

As we ended the interaction that we had over coffee and donuts, I audaciously asked you out on another date, this time I thought, I'd make a move.

You were hesitant at first. You said you were not certain if you were ready to go back to the dating scene but you said you'd let me know when you've decided and we exchanged numbers.

Honestly, Ali, I was too proud to even think that you could have rejected me.

You did not — good.

"You dog," I thought to myself.

That Friday came quicker than we anticipated. I drove to your condo and arrived ten minutes early, debating whether to wait out in the car or come knocking on your door. I ended up doing the latter.

You opened the door looking surprised because I was early. Your eyes fall on the suit I was wearing and you complimented me for looking "hot" in that suit. I grinned like a child and said thank you.

I tried to return the compliment but I got lost for words. My eyes scanned you from head to toe and I could not find one damn thing that's off-putting. You were gorgeous in that red dress that fitted you to a T, accentuating your body's curves, and that red lipstick? Pardon me for saying this, but that turned me on. Overconfidently, I thought that night I was going to get lucky.

We got in the car and I presented you a gift wrapped in kraft paper. You wondered.

"Naalala ko nu'ng sinabi mo kung sino 'yung favorite author mo, so I thought I'd give you this," I told you as I handed you the gift.

You opened it and smiled when you saw it was an Agatha Christie novel. You mentioned you had been looking for a copy of that specific book and didn't have any luck finding one. You happily thanked me.

We went to that dinner I reserved for us. It was not new for me to take gorgeous women like you to that kind of place. What was new was that fluttering that I suddenly had in my stomach seeing you that night as we exchanged stories over champagne.

Time flew by and we did not notice. We were having so much fun.

We locked eyes for a moment and I thought it was the right moment to tell you how I felt about you.

"Ali, I like you," I said out loud without hesitation.

Maybe I got too confident thinking you will be mine that night.

Well, bummer. You smiled but didn't say you like me back and you managed to change the subject quickly before I could say anything else.

"Hey, how about for the next date, I pick the place?" you suggested.

I cleared the lump in my throat after that awkward attempt at winning you.

"Sure. Where do you want to go?" I asked and you smiled.

"It's a surprise," you said and told me to pick you up the following day at 10 AM, and so I did.

You get into my car and greeted me with a warm smile and asked if I was ready.