1 - Alison

Most people hate the idea of love because it means pain, but love does not have to be painful when it can be honest and peaceful.

Present

I wish I knew that back then. I wish I had been all-out honest instead of keeping the truth.

As I see this huge crowd cheering for us, the country's most talked about boy group, after having performed our last song in this sold-out concert, yes, I feel loved. I feel important...

...but not as loved and important as you made me feel.

Every moment, every memory is attached to me wherever I go.

Do you still remember?

If not, then, let me remind you.

***

We met for the first time on the set of my solo mini-film which you wrote and you were so proud of. What you didn't know is that I had known you for some time before that.

I admit it, okay? It is kind of my thing to act tough and unbothered and I guess that is the impression I have imprinted on everyone especially the fans.

However, I also admit to having cried to one of your films. Maybe that is why you loved teasing me for being a softie.

I get it.

So, to put it simply, I was a fan of your works, your books and your films.

The day we met was the first time I ever saw you in person and realized you were not only a great writer but a freaking goddess.

***

Past

We just wrapped up and I was talking to the director when I saw you talking to some of the crew members. I thought to myself it's her - Alison Carlos - my favorite writer.

The director said you had been watching in the background as we filmed and that I had to ask you what you thought of it. So I did.

This idiot thought to himself it was not hard. Being in this industry and getting quite a lot of exposure has molded me into the confident person that I am now. What is striking a conversation with a beautiful woman I admire, anyway?

Proudly, I walked towards you thinking that I will win your heart the moment I speak to you.

You saw me approaching and you smiled and it was as if everything went slow motion. What happened next, I think, was the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to me.

"Hi. Josh," I said oozing with confidence.

You nodded and said "Yes. I know."

Then you congratulated me for doing a great job acting and projecting while deep down I know that you knew it is not that much work.

Then, I said "Ikaw si Alison Carlos, di ba? I love your works. I read all your books and saw your films."

You looked at me in silence. I think I heard a woman staff member giggling somewhere. I knew right then that I messed up.

I knew exactly what was on your mind: Josh Ibañez, the tough guy that he is, loves chick-flick books and films and seems really proud of it.

You chuckled and said "Really?" with your brows knitting.

"Good for you," you nodded.

Ashamed, I put my hand on my forehead and never felt more stupid.

You, however, did not want to make things more awkward for me and what you said to me next sparked something I never imagined would come to be - our friendship.

You asked if I would like to join you and the production team at a small celebratory dinner and I smiled and said it would be an honor.

We talked a little but the other guys did most of the talking. What I learned that day was how big of a nerd you were and that we had a common ground: playing videogames.

That's how it started and that's also how my fans came to know you. I would invite you to play and join my streams. Sometimes you would accept the invitation and most times you would decline and I understood that because you were always busy. You said you didn't know what if felt like to get eight hours of sleep anymore.

Looking at the surface, we seem like very different people but as I got to know you, I slowly believe that we were in fact very much alike.

You had a rough childhood, too, as you mentioned in your bio. At a young age, you learned to be independent. You had your heart broken once or a couple of times much like I did, too. Your story very much reflected mine.

I can't remember how and what happened but somehow after a few months of intermittent communication, I finally mustered the courage to ask you out.

We met at a coffee shop and you were the first to arrive and even scolded me for being late, wasting almost thirty minutes of your precious time. I apologised.

We talked. I introduced myself again as if it was the first time. You found that funny. We shared stories about our lives and you made me feel as though I could be vulnerable around you.

You told me I could call you Ali and I responded that you could call me Josh.

I learned that you weren't just good at writing. You're a great listener, too. Your smile would get wider every time you hear some of my interesting stories.

Ali, that moment alone with you made me realize that I like you - your looks, your personality, and everything about you.

You're so beautiful yet so simple and so real. I found it cute how that white argyle cardigan you had on kind of engulfed your tiny body. The way your eyes shone behind those glasses whenever you smile is really captivating. How you told your stories as if you were still writing them, describing every detail colorfully, is just so amazing.

I thought to myself could this be it? Is she the one?

***
***
***
***
***

Thank you for finishing this chapter! Don't forget to vote for it and add this story to your Reading List. More chapters await. Happy reading!
- AE Topes