Wattpad Original
There are 18 more free parts

Ch. 4: A Love Of My Own

Sofia

As soon as the tart reply leaves my mouth, my process of realizing is slowed as Gabriel grabs my elbow, guiding me, no—dragging me out of the sick man's bedroom. We pass through the hallway, the sitting room, and I am left amused when he walks us out of the doors before releasing me.

His stance is agitated, his square chin, sharp enough to cut through glass, is tight as he backs me to a column where the intricate design in it digs into my back.

He presses a fist to his mouth, backs away, shuts his eyes and I wonder if I am imagining those white smoke curls coming out of his ears.

"What did I do now?" I question, pressing a foot on the Renaissance-style column as I lean back on it.

I cross my arms as he turns all of a sudden, chocolate brown eyes, with flecks like warm honey, flashing a glare at me.

"Listen, woman..." he starts in a grave tone, in that same whiskey-on-ice voice that makes my thighs clench. "Try to behave yourself. That's my father you were just being smart with. I won't tolerate that."

"What's your problem? I was being honest. Wouldn't the Don approve of that?"

"You...we..." He heaves a deep breath, pushing into my personal space, our breaths warm against each other's faces. I have to crane my neck with how tall he is. "Here's the deal—you are supposed to be in love with me. We are getting married because we love each other and you just...you just fucked it up."

Estella left those details out. I would have never agreed to such a replacement if I had to pretend to be in love with this...alien creature.

"How was I supposed to know that?" I ask haughtily.

"You could take your sister's place but not have the decency to ask her what we had been planning for all these months?" he retorts, our eyes locked in an intense stare that unsettles me.

He is handsome as hell. Sad he has such an attitude.

Estella would say we aren't much different.

"I didn't think it'd be necessary." I shrug.

His face turns redder, every muscle clenching and his jaw ticking profusely.

"You..." he says with the sound of a curse. "Fuck!"

He pulls away from me without continuing, enters his father's room, and before I can follow, slams the doors shut in my face.

My jaw drops at his audacity. I look left and right, seeing only the hallways. I am alone in the entire space and it unnerves me.

I raise a hand to knock at the door.

"Gabriel? Gabriel?" I call and he doesn't answer. "Merda!"

Hands on my hips, I ponder over what to do now. I am thinking of ways to go with a finger tapping over my cherry-glossed lips when the doors suddenly open. My eyes fall on the polished shoes before traveling up to a well-toned body and a chiseled face with amber eyes and brown curls, standing at a height almost the same as Gabriel's at six foot three or four.

Fabio gives me a not-impressed look, mimicking his brother before stepping out and shutting the doors back.

"He asked me to show you to the primary suite. Follow me," Fabio commands, heavy steps treading past me.

I look back at the shut doors once, feeling a little guilty for ruining Gabriel's mood. At this point, I can't help but wonder if I am only taking my anger for Estella out on him.

"Thanks," I say, then sprint to catch up with Fabio who has already turned a corner.

I pass beautiful architecture like a dream from history books, with paintings and murals everywhere. Every corner of this mansion has been carved with clear details, leaving me gaping at the scenes unfolding before me. We climb a short flight of white limestone steps and come to a stop in front of a set of large wooden double doors.