4

Sharma was waiting for his kids. They showed up ten minutes later and sat in front of him. There was an eerie silence. Alia smirked at her siblings standing behind him. 

"Papa, Alia told me you had called us. What happened?" Aaryan waited.

Sharma's eyes moved from Aaryan to Shraddha and back to Aaryan.  He looked upset.

"Aaryan, what day is it today?" 

The two siblings exchanged glances, confused. 

"Tuesday?"

"I asked what's the importance of this day?"

"Birthday? Anniversary? I don't know Papa", Aaryan replied.

"It's 18th! In one hour your sister has an appointment with the doctor. Both of you have not had your breakfast nor been ready. Did I or did I not tell you how important this is? You, Shraddha, should somebody else remind you of your appointment? Alia is the only responsible child here".

Papa yelled and Alia had a million-dollar smile on her face. 

"What are you waiting for now? You hardly have half an hour. Go!" Papa screamed in the morning. 

Aaryan and Shraddha ran to the table and gobbled their breakfast. In no time they were ready and went out. Alia hopped in with them.

"Why are you coming Alia?" asked Aaryan.

"My scooter is out of fuel. Drop me at my office. It's on the way".

"Seriously? You enjoyed it when Papa shouted at us right? Take an auto and go. Get out of my car".

"Come on guys. Please, I have a meeting. I shouldn't be late".

Shraddha touched Aaryan's hand, gesturing him to calm down. He drove the car and dropped her at the office. Alia noticed the man who had a crush on her for a long, leaning on his car with a coffee. It was obvious he was waiting for her, even though he tried his best to pretend it was not so. Alia thought to introduce him to his siblings as she wouldn't get a close opportunity.

"Guys you will love this. Give me a minute" she said and stepped out of the car and looked at the man who already had his eyes on her flawless beauty. "Hey, come here for a minute" she called and waved at him. "Guys step out of the car and meet the man who is in love with me".

"What?" Aaryan was surprised and so was Shraddha. 

They were shocked to see her bold move. The man approached the car and her siblings stepped out like she said. The man was confused to see two new faces with his love.

"Hey, I want you to meet my big brother, Aaryan, and my sister Shraddha".

"Oh, hello, nice to meet you Aaryan. Nice to meet you Shraddha". He shook hands with both of them.

"Aaryan and Shraddha, this is Ranbir Singh".

They smiled. Ranbir was good-looking, well-dressed, fair, and tall. He was the sweetest and nicest soul anybody would come across.

"You should come home and meet my parents too someday. My siblings need to get to the hospital urgently. Bye guys and please come and pick me up Aaryan, in two hours".

"Alia, if it's not a problem, can I drop you home after the meeting?" Ranbir asked politely.

"Ranbir, Alia has told us about you. Sorry if this is gonna make you awkward or uncomfortable, you are the guy that has had a crush on her for a year or so right?" Aaryan asked.

"Yes it is me and as a bother, I understand your concern which is highly appreciated. Its love. I love Alia. She knows it too. Indeed, I never told her about this and I don't think there will be a better time than this. I am not interested in dating and I've crossed that age. I would love to marry your sister. Like you said, Alia, if you all are okay with it then I will come home with my parents and talk to your parents. I know I need to slow down but I prefer to say things to the point than beat around the bush. If you want to know who I am as a person, we can get to know each other, if not then Shraddha, Vikram Kapoor is my classmate. You can talk to him". Ranbir looked at his watch. "It's time, Alia do you wanna go with me?"

"Um... yeah okay. I'll see you guys and let me know what the doctor said".

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you seeing a doctor?" Ranbir was a little concerned.

"Shraddha has an appointment", Aaryan said.

"You look smart. I like you", Shraddha gestured at Ranbir.

"Oh, thank you so much. That's so kind of you. You look wonderful Shraddha. Vikram has told me about you and how great you are as a friend".

"Can I have your number?" Shraddha gestured giving him her phone.

"Sure, you can Shradds" he saved it and gave it back to her.

Shraddha called him.

"Got it. Okay then I'll see you both soon hopefully, Aaryan, Shraddha, take care". He shook hands with them again.

"You too take care. Bye Alia", Aaryan said and got in his car with his sister.

"Bye," Shraddha waved at them. 

They waved back at her and walked away inside to the office. 

"Shradds, he is smart and confident. I'm impressed. What do you think?"

Shraddha gave a thumbs up which meant she agreed with whatever he said. He drove away to the hospital.

The hospital was a few minutes away from home. They were ready to meet their doctor, Dr.Sinha, who had now become a family doctor. He was well experienced and old, like a father figure to both of them and Alia. He was ready with his diagnosis after checking Shraddha.

"Uncle, please tell us some good news," Aaryan said with hope.

"I'm not willing to give you so much hope but there is a possibility for some chance of recovery. It requires immense therapy. Maybe in a few years, she can get her voice back even though she'll have a hard time speaking. By some chance I mean two to three percent".

"Thank you, Uncle. It was zero and has increased to three. She'll be fine even if it will require a lot of patience", Aaryan's eyes welled up. 

Shraddha hid her tears watching her brother's concern and love for her. 

"Okay, she can come to my house every Saturday from four to seven in the evening".

"Okay Uncle"

"Send my regards to your parents".

"Sure we will. Come on Shradds". They got up and left the hospital.

On the way, Shraddha sent Aaryan a message.

"It's Vikram's birthday. I want to see him. Please drop me at his place after an hour".

"Birthday? Who else is coming?"

"His friends? Family? I don't know. There's no party or anything. I wanna give him a surprise visit".

"Surprise?"

"And a gift. Let's get something for him. Now".

"Shraddha, do you really wanna do this? I know he's your best friend, but, a gift? Is it necessary?"

Shraddha nodded a yes.

"Fine. Let's go and I'll wait in the car while you go and meet him".

"Bhaiyya, he is a nice guy. You can leave me at his place for a while. I'll be safe".

"Okay, if that's what you want. Stop sending me messages now. Alia will say yes to Ranbir and now you and Vikram, yea I know he's just your best friend, that's what you say and I have a deadline for Kiara. You will never find a brother who supports his sisters love stories and I have no clue about my own.

He drove away to a shop to get Vikram a birthday gift so his sister would be happy.