1

Mr. and Mrs. Sharma had a baby boy back in the 1990s. He was charming and wonderful out of his mother's womb. Everyone had eyes on the little one, but little did they know that being a man wouldn't take off his charm and beauty. He grew up to be one of the most handsome men on planet Earth, as his mother addressed him often. He was their firstborn, Aaryan Sharma, the kindest and sweetest soul. Three years later, they had their second baby girl, Alia Sharma. She was an angel. Growing up, she became nothing less than a princess. The relatives, just like every other desi family, were jealous that God was blessing the Sharmas' with good children. They had their black eyes cast on the family. Another two years later, the mini Sharma kids had a sibling. Their third baby girl, Shraddha Sharma. The second angel for Aaryan. She grew up from a beautiful child to a queen. But God loved her a little bit more than the others. He took away her voice when she was ten due to an accident. Now thirty-two years later,

"How many times have I told you, you are thirty-two? Get married!" shouted Meena Sharma, worried about her children's future.

"Arrey mummy, I'm waiting for a reply. Let her say something", said Aaryan, taking a bite from his roti.

"What mummy? By the time she replies, all your friends will have grandchildren".

Meena's reply to her son burst out laughter from his father and siblings.

"Beta, your sisters have crossed their age to get married. You are the firstborn of this family. Unless you get married, your sisters cannot".

"Mummy, it's 2023. Nowadays, it doesn't matter. I'll get my sisters married off. Or at least engaged so they can roam around happily".

"I dare you two to do that before your brother gets married", yelled Meena at her daughters.

"Mummy, why are you shouting at us? We didn't even say anything. Papa yaar, please control your wife", said Alia, speaking for herself and Shraddha.

"Meena, do you have to do this every day? Finish your dinner. Kids, you too, and go to sleep. It's already past nine. I don't want this tamasha every day. Trust your kids, Meena. They are better than most of the kids of their age. No smoking, drugs, alcohol, parties, nothing, no bad habits. All they want is to marry someone of their choice. Let them do that. Kids, listen, marry them only if we agree. Deal?"

"Yes Papa," the siblings said, smiling at their Papa and Mummy, who was not so convinced.

Shraddha shared Aaryan's bedroom because one, their house, only had three bedrooms. Two, she was a tomboy and a copy of her big brother. According to her, Alia was so girly, and the room was too colorful with necklaces, earrings, rings, sarees, churidars, and dupattas all over the place. Alia matched everything with her dress. To Aaryan and Shraddha, a t-shirt, shirt, or hoodie with pants and shoes was enough. Alia was an early bird and slept off at ten. Her siblings were night owls and early risers. They were good at changing their sleep schedules accordingly. 

Aaryan was waiting for a reply from the one he loved. The girl of his dreams. He was in class ten when she first joined his class, and the moment he saw her, he fell in love. He has been waiting ever since for her to love him or at least to give him an answer. He was old enough to go on dates. He wanted to marry her, architect Kiara Sehgal. Every time she smiled, Aaryan fell in love all over again.  Alia did not have any lovers. She knew a man from her office who had a crush on her for years. He did not have the guts to come and tell her that he likes her but he tried many times and she knew that too. Shraddha has one best friend, since college. He was doing his final year in post-graduation when she was pursuing her first year in graduation. She had been a laughing stock in school and also at college but only he made her feel like a real friend. Every girl had eyes on him. He was the college crush and she had seen women boldly proposing to him out of the blue and he kindly rejected them without saying no. Now he was a businessman, the most desirable, a bachelor, Vikram Kapoor. The media would sometimes write fake stories about him that he was a playboy. He was in relationships and was a friend of many Bollywood stars but that did not make him less human. Those who knew him knew who he was, than those who judged him from the outside.

"Shrads, you think I am the problem?" Aaryan asked his sister.

Shraddha replied through texts from her phone and sometimes carried a book around. 

"You are perfect. It's been many years since you proposed to her. Don't you think you need to remind her that you are still waiting for her?"

"I told her last Valentine's Day and she walked away. No response. Look at this", he opened his chat with her and showed it to his little sister. "I sent a hi three years ago and didn't get a reply", his face was gloomy.

Shraddha thought for a while, "bhaiyya, is she testing your loyalty? Do you think she would be jealous if she saw you with someone else?"

"Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn't go out with any other woman.  I am loyal".

"You can go out with your sister, right? Kiara doesn't know about us. Cliches always work bhaiyya, try it".

"I can't believe I'm listening to you. If this doesn't work, I'll kill you".

"Trust me. Do you know where Kiara goes on Sundays?"

"She's your bhabi".

"Fine".

"She goes to Pearl Cafe with her books to read and orders a cold coffee. It's her favorite place".

"Alone?"

"Yea. You are suggesting me to go with Alia?"

Shraddha nodded a yes.

"Alia will be super dramatic if she gets to know why. Why don't you dress up like a woman and come with me?"

"How will I talk to her?"

"Oh, I didn't think about that. Come along, we'll make it work. Exact noon we need to be there for operation Kiara".

Shraddha laughed.

"Turn off your silent laughter or else I will tell everyone about Vikram. Don't tell me he's just a friend, I know you love him. Have you seen your face when he texts you? You turn red like a tomato. We don't blush when friends text. Understand? Now help me get my girlfriend first and I'll help you for yours".

"Bhaiyya, Vikram is my best friend".

"Yea, and the earth is not round. Shut up and go to sleep. Good night"

He gave her a tiny kiss on her forehead and she gave it in return with a 'good night' text.