“Mom wasn’t either,” I let out. “And before she married you and took your surname, she was a nobody. Everyone might act like they’ve forgotten, but that doesn’t change the truth. And Grandma and Grandpa didn't give you a hard time when you decided to be with her. So tell me, Mom, if you were good enough for Dad, then why are you looking down on people like my Lee?”

My Lee?

I blink. When the hurt flicks across my mother's face, I regret my words immediately.

“Mom, I’m sorry,” I say, shaking my head. “It's the truth but I shouldn’t have said that. And I apologize, truly.”

She nods, a tight smile on her face.

“It's okay, darling. I understand your frustration. That woman did quite the damage to my little boy but you'll be fine, don't worry.”

And she's back to blaming Lee.

I scoff and am about to push my chair back to stand when Asha beats me to it.

“And where do you think you're going?” Clayton asks.

She frowns.

“I don't remember having to answer to you, Clay,” she says, “But out of the goodness of my heart, I'll tell you. I'm going to see Lee.”

The mention of her name makes my heart skip and I meet my cousin's eye.

“She... called you?” I hear myself ask.

“No. But it's been almost a week and none of you... seem to be bothered about everything this family has put her through. So I'm going to look for her.”

“Asha Dalton, I forbid you from—”

“Doing an honorable thing?” she cuts my mother off and picks up her phone. “I don't think so.”

“Ash, wait” I call after her.

She whirls around with a frown.

“Oh, no, no, no, Ben” she snaps, “I am not going to be your carrier pigeon. So man up and talk to her yourself.”

And like that, she's gone. I take a moment to carefully make my next move. I flex my jaw and push my chair back before standing. Then I clear my throat.

“I'll be on the golf course if you're looking for me,” I say to no one in particular and walk away.

✯✯✯✯✯✯

✿ Aileen's POV

I angrily toss another batch of cupcakes into the bin. I hated him. So much. With everything. Yet, his touch, the way sincerity shone in his eyes, and the kiss... that kiss... was all I could think about for days now. And it left an empty feeling inside of me, making me hate everything all over again.

“They bought it. They actually bought it.”

His words ring in my ears and I scowl, tossing the entire baking tray into the bin and furiously attacking the tissue papers.

“Err... Miss Lee?” a voice squeaks out.

I pause and turn to find my employees, lined up in the kitchen... each wearing an uncertain look on their faces. I stop crumpling the tissues.

“Yes? What is it?”

They each shift uncomfortably on their feet. Silas and Lyra simultaneously nudge Vee at her sides and my eyes narrow a bit.

“Well... err...” she stammers. “We were just um...”

“Veronica, whatever it is, spit it out. I don't have all day” I sigh.