Chapter 13 - And You Trust Her? -

His Classroom

"You have got a lot of explaining to do." Clarice marches straight to Hayes, her eyes wild and shocked. "I knew something was going on but to come here and see this! You kissing her right in-"

"Woah, hang on? Kissing? Absolutely not." Hayes brings his hand up as Clarice tries to smack him with a book. "We weren't kissing Clarice. I promise you that."

"Then what were you doing towering over her by the door?" Hayes sighs, and his shoulders slump.

"She knows." He says quietly.

"She knows? Knows what?" Clarice shifts her body forward to her friend, trying to study his solemn expression but realisation hits faster than feelings.

"Y-you mean, she knows about you and-"

"Angel. Angelina Green." He brings his large hand to pull through his loose strands of hair, causing his raven locks to become a little messy.

"How does she know?" Clarice sits back onto a desk, completely dumbfounded. But that still doesn't explain what she saw coming in.

"Hayes. That can't be the reason why you had her trapped by the door."

"She was testing my patience after I reprimanded her. Clearly she dislikes Angelina as much I do but after she said what I feared," Hayes looks up, sighing deeply. "I just lost it."

"Do you think she knows the reason why you two broke up? If she doesn't like Angelina then there must be a valid reason."

"I don't know. I just, I don't know what the hell is going on."

"I know you're feeling like shit right now Hayes, but you have to be careful with your actions." Clarice looks away to the door that she came in through. "What if someone else came in? The situation would have been much worse-"

"I know. I realise that now." He pauses, glancing up at the window. There's a whole multitude of feelings surrounding his common sense and it's all because of his student. He's not sure why, nor does he want to find out further. Her simple compliments make him flustered and he doesn't like it. Why should she make him feel this way? Is it because of their past interactions? It has to be. She's just a silly student who doesn't understand how her words can affect others.
"Out of all the people in this school building." He grumbles. "She just had to know."

"Did she threaten you? It doesn't sound like her at all to do that."

"No, no. Rather, she told me she won't say anything at all."

"And you trust her?"
Hayes' grey eyes rest on his dear friend, her worried expression and wide green eyes makes him wonder what she's thinking.

"Of course." He replies without a second glance.
Clarice lets out a breath, shaking her head. She gets up and begins to pace back and forth. It's been bothering her ever since this morning and sooner or later she will have to mention it. At least question his intentions.

"What is up with you?" Hayes asks tilting his head to one side. "I know why I'm agitated but why are you?"

"Hayes, I need you to be honest with me. And I mean it's because the last thing I want is for you to go back to..."

"To who? Angelina? Oh, you must be kidding!" Hayes can feel the rage boil through his skin, the thought of his ex squirming her way back makes him shudder. "You and I both well know I would never go back to her."
Clarice stays silent, listening to his tense voice, his head lowered down toward the ground. Maybe his actions are because of Angelina's return. And maybe it's because old feelings are being brought up again, Hayes just doesn't know where to turn.