𝓒𝓻𝔂 𝓛𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓵𝓮 𝓢𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓻

I slowly entered the ice cream shop with Patrick and Bev in close proximity, them being here actually making it that much easier to handle this tough situation

I slowly entered the ice cream shop with Patrick and Bev in close proximity, them being here actually making it that much easier to handle this tough situation. The afternoon rush had diminished, leaving only mom, Belle, and the three of us here in the shop. I noted the heaps of ice cream sitting in front of them. And one was my absolute favorite. She remembered.....

"Still a chocolate strawberry kind of girl Leslie?" Her voice hit my ears once more and I was transported back to when I was little, braiding my hair, endless laughter, summer runs and winter kisses. Everything hit me and I just didn't know how to process it.

"Uh... yeah actually." I slowly sat down at a booth further back in the shop for us all to fit into, Beverly sitting on one side of me and Patrick on the other. It felt so odd looking at her. She looked the same. But so different all at the same time.

"Oh my gosh! Beverly? Look how grown up my two girls are. It makes me happy to see you guys so close still." Bev simply smiled, trying to ease the situation for me a bit. And it was helping. But her eyes finally landed on Patrick and she seemed.... surprised.

"Patrick Hockstetter? You've gotten tall. And dating Leslie?" My eyes widened from the mere question, Patrick and I just staring at one another before he seemed more than willing to take over the situation. And he was having too much fun with it.

"Actually, yeah. I've changed my ways. I'm a clean cut, all American boy and well, I had to ask your daughter out. She's a fine little lady." I slapped his leg under the table so harsh that I knew he'd get me back for it later. Bev was trying so hard to cover her smile, Belle was simply hypnotized by Patrick. Same kid. Same.

"That she is indeed Patrick. Well, Ice cream is on me. I'm sorry Henry couldn't make it. I would love to see him." I simply took a bite of my ice cream, when Patrick took a spoon and ate some of mine like it was his with a little smirk on his face. He was really into this whole bullshit story. Asshole.....

"He's uh.... he's not exactly happy." I chose my words wisely around Belle, seeing she seemed like a sweet kid. I would be lying though if I said I didn't want to say a select few words to her. She was gone for years. Years! And now this surprise is sprung on us? A little sister. She got a whole new family. And it hurts. It really hurts.

"I know I haven't been around you guys in so long. And I feel terrible for that. But I want to change that. That's why we moved back here. So I can be around you and Henry. And you guys can get to know Belle." I looked to Belle with a little smile, watching her eat her ice cream with such a sweet face. Me before my innocence was lost. I just couldn't get over how much she looked like me. Mom seemed so hopeful to. It honestly crushed me. I can't say I don't love her. I just.... don't know how I'm going to do this.

"I can't promise anything. But, I'm willing to try." She smiled a relieved smile from my words, seemingly easing into the conversation herself. She was just as nervous as I was. The rest of the time consisted of Patrick eating most of my ice cream, Belle and I striking up a conversation, taking pictures together with a Patrick stuffing his face to make her giggle and my mom seeming so happy at the outcome. Even Bev did everything in her power to ease my nerves. Patrick made me laugh more than anything. It was actually a nice time. Once all the ice cream was gone and conversation seemed great, we decided to go ahead and go our separate ways.

"Honey, I'm so glad you came. I really do love you. I can't believe my little girl is all grown up." She hugged me without a second thought, seeing Patrick over her shoulder with a little smirk on his lips of humor from my uncomfortable stance. I wasn't expecting it, the hug. But it was kinda nice. It was like her usual ones. The ones I remember.

"Oh she's all grown up alright." Patrick said with such a suggestive tone, I elbowed him so fast in the gut he actually looked pissed off there for a second with a pained look. Another notch on my torture list. Check. At this rate, he's going to kill me.

"Please come by the house sometime okay?" She seemed humored by Patrick's antics the entire time, knowing he was bullshitting but seemingly approved of whatever was happening with us. Even though I didn't need her approval. And she had no idea just what he was doing to her daughter.

"Please sissy?" Belle's little voice melted my heart. I didn't fault her for anything. She was too sweet. And we'd already started to bond. I could see Henry and I both in her face. Maybe it's best Henry isn't around her now that I think about it. He'd torture the poor kid.

"Okay. I promise I will." I intended to keep that promise. I won't be like my mom. That is for sure. And as we said our goodbyes, it was bittersweet. I couldn't believe I just had ice cream with my mom after not seeing her for years like nothing ever changed.

"You know, that went better than expected. No Ice cream throwing, no blow outs." Bev and I laughed as we hugged one another before she left to meet up with the guys. She had finally made friends with them, and I was more than happy. She deserved more friends. And I already knew Ben liked her. Not like other guys typically do. But really liked her for well, her. He confided in me before about it. I honestly think it's sweet. Young love...

"No goodbye kiss for me? Because I thought you two were damn well going to kiss." I slapped Patrick in the arm without a second thought, smirking in humor at him from his usual little smile that drives me utterly insane.

"You always get kisses loser." I put real strain on the word loser, feeling actually comfortable enough to say it without real fear of being pimp slapped for it. But his look of challenge really did me in, his thoughts starting to get the best of him.

"Call me that again princess and I'll bend you over right here and now in front of all these people....." His menacing tone and darkened green eyes bore into mine and I knew he wasn't bluffing. He would do it.

"I thought you were a changed man Patty." He nearly lost his shit from the name I gave him, dragging me off to the nearest alley way, leaving my bike completely alone at the ice cream shop. He kept pulling me along until we were in a more secluded part of the alley, pushing me up against the wall in his usual demanding manner.

"You're really pushing my buttons today Les. Slapping me, talking back to me, little lovey knick names. Keep this up and you'll be burned to a crisp by the time I'm done with you." Suddenly, a man and woman came walking down the alley, almost as if they didn't see us yet, looked directly at me, their faces void of emotion. But what really got me, was the little red balloon trailing behind them. Floating about as if it wasn't truly there. But I could see it plain as day. The couple did nothing, just kept walking. That balloon.....

"They can't do anything. They'll think we're just kids messing around back here Les. Don't worry..... I got you." My heart practically skipped a beat from his tone, his eyes searching mine for any sign of weakness. But none could be found. I stood my ground, eyeing him right back with such confidence, that he seemed rather humored by the whole thing.

"Oh I'm not worried. Maybe I'm asking for it. Maybe I want it. Maybe what you did back there turned me on.... boyfriend." His hands suddenly gripped my waist with such force I could practically feel his fingertips digging into my skin.

"You're pushing it...." He said through gritted teeth. But I could see the fire in his eyes. He was loving the game we had going. I could never have realized just how badly I needed Patrick in my life.