Chapter 13: A Fight Against Formidable Odds: Jacqui Briggs

The scene cuts to Team S.F. and Manado at the cockpit of their plane, currently in the air and heading towards the Sky Temple. Jacqui and Takeda are in the pilot's seats, with Cassie and Jin at the computer screens just behind them and Manado standing in the center.

"We land in fifteen minutes. We'll enter the Sky Temple from the terrestrial entrance." Cassie says.

"Why not go straight there?" Takeda asks.

"It doesn't exactly work that way Takeda." Zaveer says.

"Zaveer's right. It exists in a different quantum state, slightly out of phase from our reality. It can't be reached by conventional means." Kung Jin explains.

Takeda breaths out a heavy sigh, which Jacqui notices.

"What?" Jacqui asks.

"It's just us. No one's coming to help. We either pull this off or–" Takeda says before being cut off.

"We WILL get it done." Manado assures.

Warning buzzers sound off through the plane. Before it looms the clouds that have been corrupted by the Jinsei. Cassie and Kung Jin get out of their seats for a closer look.

"By the... what is that?!" Kung Jin asks.

"Dunno. But it's headed right for us." Takeda says.

"Elder Gods have mercy." Kung Jin prays.

As the cloud looms closer, it produces turbulence that rocks the plane.

"Buckle up, people! I gotta put her down." Jacqui says. Cassie and Kung Jin race back to their seats while Manado finds a seat to sit down on.

Later in the forest near the temple, Jacqui has landed the plane without crashing, and Team S.F. and Manado have exited without issue. The corrupted light from the clouds above them has given the forest a distinctly red hue.

"Looks like the temple entrance is fifteen clicks that way." Jacqui says as she points off to the distance.

"A moonlight walk in the woods. Another time, it'd be relaxing." Zaveer says.

"I wouldn't have pegged you for outdoorsy." Jacqui says..

"My mother and I use to travel in forests a lot like this. Really takes me back." Takeda says.

Jacqui smiles at this as it's quite clear she's warming up to Zaveer's charm.

"After we wrap this up, we should go." Jacqui says.

He looks at her and smiles back. They spend a brief moment staring warmly at one another, before looking over to Cassie and Kung Jin standing on one of the plane wings, repairing the motor. Cassie slams down her tools in frustration.

"Fuck me! We're grounded. That shockwave fried the leads." Cassie informs.

"Then let's get going. We're almost outta time." Jacqui says.

A portal then opens up behind them. Kotal Kahn emerges, flanked by Erron Black, Ermac, Ferra/Torr, Reptile and several of his soldiers.

"Oh no." Manado says to himself.

"What are they doing here?" Kung Jin asks.

"Looking for the amulet, I bet." Jacqui says.

"We have to tell them about Shinnok. Call a truce." Zaveer suggests.

Kotal then spots Team S.F. and Manado and does not look happy to see them. He points in their direction with his macuahuitl and addresses his soldiers.