13: Snow Ball '84

Thirteen: Snow Ball '84

!!!

Y/n is freaking out.

Today was the day of the Snowball; The school's annual winter dance.

Y/n decided she was going to muster up the courage to ask Max to dance. She knew it was highly unlikely that Max would like her back. But there was still that small bit of hope whenever they would hold hands or make eye contact.

So Y/n sat in front of her mirror, doing her hair. She was in a long blue dress with short ruffled sleeves, and she looked gorgeous in her opinion.

She finished her hair, and gave a small smile at her reflection before putting on white heels. She slowly stepped downstairs, revealing the look to her mom.

"Honey, you look amazing!!! I need pictures." Her mom told her before grabbing her camera.

Y/n smiled. "Thanks, mom."

After her mom took some pictures, Y/n decided she was going to get something off her chest.

"Mom?"

"Mhm?"

"I- so... You know my friend, Max?" Y/n asked as she walked over to lean against the kitchen counter.

The two girls had been hanging out at Y/n's house more often since El closed the gate.

"Yeah, what about her?"

"Well, tonight I was gonna..." Y/n bit her inner lip as she tried to find a way to word what she was trying to say.

"I was- um... I was gonna ask her to dance."

Y/n's mom turned around to face Y/n.

"Are you- mad?"

Her mom just hugged her. "I'm so proud of you. I kinda figured, too."

Y/n furrowed her brows and pulled away. "You what?"

"I see how you are around her. People don't act like that around friends."

Y/n just wrapped her mom back into a hug. When they pulled away, Y/n spoke up. "I like guys, too."

Her mom chuckled and smiled. That's when they heard a honk outside.

"Steve's here. I love you mom."

"I love you! Hey!"

Y/n turned around, stopping by the door.

"Good luck."

Y/n smiled at her mom and walked through the door.

!!!

Y/n looked out the window as Steve's car pulled up to the school gym. Dustin and Steve talked about how to get girls, which Y/n found pointless since Steve literally went through a breakup not so long ago but whatever.

Dustin hopped out of the car, tugged on his suit and made his way inside. It was just Steve and Y/n now. Y/n climbed up to the front seat, taking Dustin's place.