Chapter 1: First Meeting (Part 1)

Sleep was starting to slip out of my grasp as I hear excited giggles and footsteps. If I can only hold on for a little longer...

"Wake up, Kendall! We're gonna be late if you keep on sleeping!" my annoying friend, Guilianna, call. I try to ignore her, but it was no use. I feel the bed tip to the side and something cold on my back. My eyes shoot open as I jump out. I quickly wipe my back, hoping it was just water. Much to my dismay, it wasn't. I look up and see a smirking Guilianna and my other friend, Olive, snickering. I look at what Guilianna had in her hands and almost scream.

"Why the hell would you do this? I mean, where did you even get that?" I ask as I quickly walk to the bathroom we all shared.

"Calm down, you smell just the same! I just gave you a little more of your trademark perfume," Guilianna says through the now closed door. I roll my eyes and look at the mirror. Why did I even agree to this? I quickly strip my clothes off and jump into the shower, feeling my tired-self leaving my body. I quickly wash myself and pay special attention to my lower back. After a few minutes, I jump out and wrap a towel around my body.

"Why are you taking so long? We could've gone to Panem, win the Hunger Games and come back!" Olive complains. I burst through the bathroom door and toward the closet. I try to open the door, but finding it locked. I look over to Guilianna and she smirks again.

"Don't worry, your outfit is on your bed," she says as she cocks her head to my bed. I look over, expecting to see a skimpy dress or something, but was actually shocked when I see my favourite red dress I wore for special occasions. And this is certainly not a special occasion. It's just three friends hanging out at a bar.

"Why this dress? I'm not going to a wedding or anything," I inform them. Guilianna rolls her eyes.

"Ken, that dress is not just for special occasions. Unless you count having the time of your life a special occasion. I sure do! Now put the dress on or else we won't get in," she urges on. I roll my eyes and groan. I really don't want to do this, but what other choice do I have? I actually had a lot. I could've been writing my songs or watching Pretty Little Liars' re-runs. But they insisted and I completely lost it when I saw Olive's puppy dog face. She looked so cute that I could've done anything for her. But now the moment is gone.

I quickly slip the red dress over my head while I pluck the towel off of my body

"Where did you even get the dress?" Olive asked. I look in the mirror and turn slightly, surprise that it actually still fits. Last time I wore it was at an art opening. My mom's to be precise. That was one of the best moments of her life.

"Uhmm... my mom gave it to me," I say softly, "It was too small for her, so she gave it to me." I smile sadly at the memory. Next moment, Olive and Guilianna pop up next to me, their arms wrapped around my shoulders.

"We're sorry about your mom, Ken, but there is nothing you can do about it now," Olive says softly, "she wouldn't want her tragic end pull you down. She would want you to be happy." I nod slowly and stare at the floor.

"You know, you don't have to wear the dress anymore. It obviously brings back bad memories," Guilianna says just as softly as Olive. I shake my head and look at us in the mirror.

"No, I'm okay, Anna. I'll wear the dress," I say with a reassuring smile. I run my hand through my hair and look at myself from head to toe again. I really like the dress, yet it's connected with my mother. A few days after the art opening, she lost the battle against heart cancer. I knew that it was going to happen, but that still destroyed me inside.

"If you say so," Olive says and leaves the mirror's sight. Guilianna gives me a quick side hug and walks toward the bathroom. I was about to leave the mirror when someone knocks.