11: Glimpse Of Us

Rosita woke up to the sound of a phone ringing upstairs. She thought she was home. When she opened her eyes fully, she realized she wasn't. She was still in the basement. She couldn't move. If she could, she still wouldn't want to. Rosita heard the door close loudly. Why was the Grabber down there? Rosita assumed he was making sure she was still alive or checking to see if she was dead.

After a moment, she heard footsteps. They got closer and closer until someone pulled on the chain of the light. She was blinded and couldn't see who did it at first. Her eyes slightly adjusted. It was Robin's friend. Finney Blake.

"Finney?" Rosita asked almost in a whisper. Her voice was horse from crying, and the lack of water she's had in who knew how long.

"Rosita?" Finney replied, sounding confused and saddened by her presence. Rosita wanted to say something but couldn't. No words could be formed.

Finney grabbed her right arm and helped her up onto her feet. They walked to the mattress in the other room. Finney sat Rosita on the bed, and she laid down. Finney noticed her wounds. She looked at him. "I'll be okay." Rosita whispered. Finney nodded, wanting to believe Rosita. He then noticed the phone on the wall.

Finney got up and tried to use it. Rosita watched and shook her head. Finney sighed and put the phone back. He slowly laid on the bed. Rosita moved a bit to give him space, but he laid on her chest. Like Robin did. Rosita put her right arm around him and closed her eyes, and pretended she was holding her baby brother in her arms. Rosita ended up falling asleep, and so did Finney.

~Day one in the basement~

Rosita felt coldness on her chest. Finney had gotten up and was trying to use the phone.

"It doesn't work." The Grabber said, catching Rosita and Finney's attention. "Not since I was a kid. Hang it up." The grabbed turned on the dim light. "I know you're scared, and you wanna go home." He said. "I'll take you home soon." His tone and words make Rosita uneasy. "It's just that..." The Grabber laughed a bit. "Oh, everything's all fucked up." He paused. "I got to be upstairs for a while. Something's come up." "What?" Finney asked. "Never mind what." He replied. "Did someone see something? Are the police coming?" Finney asked sounded frantic.

Rosita just stared at the man who took her boyfriend and brothers life away. "If you let us go before they get here. I promise I won't tell." Finney said. The Grabber laughed at Finney's suggestion. "It's not the police." "Someone, though?" Finney asked. "Someone's coming? I'll scream. If someone's upstairs, they'll hear me." "No, he won't. Not with the door shut." "He?" The Grabber became annoyed with Finney. "With the door shut. No one can hear anything down here. I soundproofed it myself. So, shout if you'd like. You won't bother anyone." The Grabber went to close the door. "You're the one who killed the others." Finney said. "Bruce, Robin."

Rosita looked up at the ceiling, wanting to cry at the mention of her brothers name. "That wasn't me. That was someone else." The Grabber said.

Rosita sat up and tried to speak, but her voice was gone. "Cat got your tongue?" The Grabber snickered. Rosita rubbed her neck. "I will never make you do anything that you won't..." The Grabber trailed off. "...like." Finney looked uneasy and disgusted. "If you try and touch me, I'll scratch your face. And whoever that's coming will see and ask why." The Grabbed turned his head to the ceiling and into the light. "This face?" He asked. "Hang up the phone now." Finney listened and hung the phone back up.

The Grabber took a deep breath. "I was down here once when it rang." He said before getting shivers. "Ooh, creepiest damn thing. I think it's static electricity that does it." He paused. "It went off when I was right next to it. I picked it up without thinking... to see if anyone was there." He told Rosita and Finney. "Was there?" Finney asked. The Grabber shook his head. "No." He left locking the door.