7: They Don't Care About Us

~October 1976~

Rosita cleaned the windows and walked back over to the counter to put away the spray bottle and rag. She went into the bathroom to wash her hands. A loud knock on the door echoed in the room.

"Can you hurry up in there?" A voice says from outside the door. Rosita dried her hands and left.

She saw the boy who knocked on the door. He went from eager to use the bathroom to acting tough as if he didn't have to go.

"Never mind. I'm not using the bathroom after a wetback," The boy said as Rosita walked away.

She turned around and looked at the boy. She hasn't heard that slur since 7th grade. She wanted to cry but didn't and walked back to the register.

"Yeah walk away you spick."

Rosita leaned her back against the wall and looked down. Rosita heard the bell for the door signifying he left the Grab 'N Go. She tried to forget the interaction as she worked as normal.

She saw Vance walk in, and she became a bit more at ease.

After an hour or so, the boy came back. He grabbed some items and threw them on the counter.

He didn't say anything and just stood there. She rang him up.

"Your total is $2.35." She said, looking down at the counter trying to avoid him.

He hands Rosita two dollars and twenty-five cents.

"You're ten cents short. It's $2.35." She said, holding the money in her hand.

"So? At least I'm giving your ass money," He grabbed his stuff. "I don't understand what Vance sees in you, you boarder hopping bitch."

That caught Vance's attention. He hit the side of the pinball machine hard finishing his game.

He marched over to the boy and grabbed the back of the boys' shirt collar, and threw him on the ground.

Rosita stepped back and away from the counter against the wall. Vance punched the kid repeatedly before one of his friends tried to attack Vance from behind. Vance fought back as he always did in situations like these.

Whenever he'd stick up for Rosita one way or another, that was his way of saying 'I love you', and Rosita knew that.

Vance picked up the kid who bullied Rosita by his collar.

"Don't fuck with my girlfriend again!" Vance said throwing the kid on the floor. He looked up at Rosita who was in shock of him publicly referring to her as his girlfriend.

Vance's gaze softened, but his face stayed the same. He turned around and walked back to his game.

The kid hurried up off the ground and left the Grab 'N Go with his friend.

A couple of days later, Vance was arrested, and the kid who bullied Rosita was charged. Vance was free to go. He was surprised as everyone else.

Normally, because of his reputation, he'd be immediately put behind bars until he was bailed out or his time was over.

Vance would always protect Rosita.

Some things in life they just don't wanna see
But if Martin Luther was livin'
He wouldn't let this be, no, no