5: Mr. Loverman

~September 1977~

The phone rang loudly as Mrs. Arellano was cleaning. Rosita was reading a book to the baby girl in her stomach in her room, and Robin was reading a comic, eating a candy bar in his room.

"Rosita! Could you get that!" Her mom called out. Rosita's room was closer to the phone. She got up and walked to the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Rosita. It's Mark. Vance's dad." "Oh, hello, sir!" Mr. Hopper laughed a little, then spoke. "Is Vance with you?" "No, why?" Rosita heard Mr. Hopper sighs. "What happened?"

Rosita prayed it was just Vance getting arrested or being held back again.

"He didn't come home yesterday." Realization took over Rosita's face. "I'm sorry." Mr. Hopper hung up.

She fell to her knees, dropping the phone. It was hanging by the cord swinging.

Robin saw Rosita on the floor, and he ran over.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Robin asked, dropping to his knees, holding his sister. "Vance. H-he didn-" Rosita couldn't finish her sentence.

Robin realized what she was gonna say. He comforted his sister as his mom walked upstairs. "Who was on the pho-" Mrs. Arellano saw Rosita crying and Robin comforting her. "Vance didn't come home." Robin said, looking at his mom.

A part of Rosita died that day.

I'm Mr. Loverman
And I miss my loverman
I'm Mr. Loverman
Oh, and I miss my lover