6: Boy In The Bubble

~August 1975~

Rosita walked to the front door of her house. Vance trailing behind her.

"Tonight was fun!" Rosita said, unlocking her front door.

"Sure, I guess." Vance replied. "Why do you always have to make something sound negative?" "What I fucking do best." Vance said throwing his arms up a bit. They walked inside, and Rosita shut and locked the door.

Vance walked into Rosita's room and collapsed onto the bed face first, his legs hanging off and his face in the mattress. Rosita laughed and closed her bedroom door. Vance kicked off his shoes and laid down.

"Don't you wanna change or something?" Rosita asked, taking off her jacket and shoes. "Hell no." Rosita got changed into her PJ's and laid next to Vance. "It's already 11:43?" Rosita exclaimed, looking at the clock on her bedside table.

She turned over to Vance, who was slowly dozing off. She kissed his cheek, got under the covers, and fell asleep.

The next morning, Vance woke up hearing loud arguing being muffled by Rosita's closed door.

He got up, put his shoes on, grabbed his vest, and opened the door.

He saw Robin standing in his doorway listening to the argument. He noticed Vance.

"What the fuck do you want?" Vance asked. Robin ignored him and looked down the hall where the yelling was coming from.

Vance walked down the hallway and saw Rosita arguing with her mom about...him?

"He has his own home he can stay at! It's fine if he comes over now and then, but it's like he's living here, Rosita!" Mrs. Arellano yelled.

"Sometimes he can't go home, Mom! I'm not just gonna leave him outside!" Rosita exclaimed. "He's been to jail, Rosita! Jail! He's a delinquent!" "Don't you dare call him that!" "Well he is! I know boys like him, and I'll be damned if I let one of them date my daughter!" "But I love him!" "I don't care if you love him or not! He's not welcome here anymore, and you can't see him! So say your goodbyes! You're gonna find a new job where you can't sneak off and be with him!" Mrs. Arellano yelled.

She noticed someone in the corner of her eye. It was Vance. She turned to Vance and walked over to him. "Get the hell out of my house! You're not gonna see my daughter again! You're not welcome here anymore!" Mrs. Arellano yelled, pointing at Vance and then the door. "Don't you fucking yell at him!" Rosita yelled standing in front of Vance. "Don't you use that language with me, Rosita!"

Vance moved Rosita to the side and left. "Vance," Rosita said, following him. He slams the door. Tears began to form in Rosita's eyes. She turned around and locked herself in her room.

Rosita didn't go to work for a few days.

Knocks came from Rosita's window. It was dark outside, but she saw a silhouette behind her curtain. It was surprisingly Vance. She opened her window, and he climbed in.

"What are you doing here?" Rosita whispered, closing her window and curtains.

"I know your mom said I can't be here, but I wanna stay here for a couple days. Maybe weeks." Vance didn't sound like himself. "What's wrong?" Rosita sat next to him on her bed. Vance lowered his head. "It's my dad again."

Rosita knew what he meant. Vance's dad wasn't so nice. Not like he was rude to people, but he'd hurt Vance. Not just verbally but physically, too sometimes. She lifted up his head and saw his black eye.

"Oh, baby." Rosita said in a low, soft tone, looking at his face. "I'm gonna get you some ice." Rosita stood up, but Vance grabbed her wrist. "Don't go," She sat down. "I don't wanna be alone right now."

Vance wasn't like himself at all. Every sentence he spoke wasn't negative nor had a curse word. Rosita hugged him and felt her shirt become wet. Vance was...crying? Rosita stroked his hair and held him tight. Vance needed the feeling of comfort, which wasn't like him, but he couldn't hide it anymore.

He broke character. She may not have understood what he was going through, but she understood why he felt the way he did and why he does the things he does.

Rosita held Vance till they both fell asleep.

The next morning, Rosita walked into the kitchen. Her mom was waiting for her.

"What. Did. I. Say Rosita!?" Her mom yelled.

"Mom-" Rosita was cut off. "No! Get him out!" Her mom said sternly. "Mom! Listen," Rosita walked closer to her mom. "His dad hits him, Okay! That's why he's here so much. If he doesn't wanna go home, I don't make him." Mrs. Arellano's gaze softened.

"It's true." They turned around and saw Vance standing there. Mrs. Arellano got up and walked over to him. "I'm so sorry," She hugged Vance. To all of their surprises, he hugged her back. "I guess you'll have to grow on me!" Mrs. Arellano said with a smile, breaking the hug. "You're welcome anytime then." "Thank you." Mrs. Arellano was confused and shocked that Vance said,'Thank you.' "You're welcome." Mrs. Arellano walked away, and Rosita smiled.

Vance practically became a part of the family.

Well, there's no excuse for the things he did
But there's a lot at home that he's dealing with
Because his dad's been drunk since he was a kid
And I hope one day that he'll say to him
"Put down those bubbles and that belt buckle in this broken bubble"