3: Daddy Issues

~December 1976~

Rosita threw the pregnancy test on the floor and put her hands on the counter. She lowered her head, and tears began to form in her eyes.

She fell to the floor and ran her hands through her hair. She couldn't believe it. She knew it would happen, but she thought she'd be wrong.

It was an accident. Vance, and her didn't wanna stop. Rosita was pregnant. She was just 15. Rosita was scared of how people would react. Mainly, her Mom and Vance.

A light knock on the bathroom door made her pull herself together.

"Rosita. Mom and I are headed out to the store. You wanna come?" It was Robin.

"Sure." "Okay. We leave in 5." "Alright." She heard her baby brother's footsteps fade. She got up off the floor and looked in the mirror. Rosita wiped away her tears and left the bathroom.

She grabbed her jacket and shoes. She still couldn't believe it. She was pregnant. She'll have to drop out of school.

So many thoughts filled Rosita's mind that day.

~September 1977~

It has been a day and a half since Vance disappeared. Rosita wouldn't do anything. It was starting to scare her mom. Her mom wasn't fond of Vance. She knew his reputation and saw how he acted.

A boy like that loving a girl like Rosita didn't sound right. Her mom learned how much Vance actually meant to Rosita and how he'd never treat her wrong even if he had the chance.

Rosita loved Vance, and to everyone's surprise, he loved her.

Rosita went to take a shower to try and relax her mind. Rosita felt the warm water fall down her legs.

Rosita was drying her hair when a sharp pain hit her stomach. She gripped the counter and tried to hold her balance. Her mom was at work, so she had no one to ask what was wrong. She called for her brother.

"Robin! Robin!" The boy ran into the bathroom hearing Rosita cry out his name in pain. He grabbed her, helping her hold her balance. "Call mom."

"What's happening?" "I don't know. Just call mom." Rosita sat on the ground, and Robin ran to the phone, calling his mom as fast as he could. He didn't want to leave his sister on the bathroom floor in pain he didn't know what was causing. "She's not picking up!" Robin dialed his uncle.

As soon as he heard his uncle's voice, he spoke. "Something's wrong with Rosita! She's having pain in her stomach, and she's on the bathroom floor! I don't know what to do! Mom's not home!" Robin said fast, hard for his uncle to process.

"In her stomach?" Their uncle asked. "Yes! What do I do!?" "Ask her if her water broke." "Her water, what?" Robin was panicking he couldn't process what his uncle was saying. "Ask Rosita if her water broke!" "Okay," Robin removes the phone from his ear and yells to Rosita. "Did your water break?" "I don't know!" Pain struck Rosita again. "She said she doesn't know!" "Okay, call 911 and tell them you think Rosita is about to have a baby!" "The baby's coming!?" "Maybe! Now just call 911, Robin!" "Okay." Robin hung up on his uncle and called 911.

"911, what's your emergency?" "Hello? I-I think my sister is about to have a baby!" "Your sister is about to have a baby?" "Yes! What do I do!?" "Okay, where is she?" "The bathroom!"

Rosita walked out of the bathroom, holding onto the walls and walking to Robin. "Are you okay?" "Is that 911?" Robin nodded, and Rosita took the phone. "I think my water broke in the shower, and my baby is coming." Pain struck Rosita again, and she held onto the wall.

She gave the operator their address, and they took her to the hospital. Robin rode with Rosita and held her hand.

At the hospital, Robin called their mom, and she came as fast as she could.

Rosita wished Vance was here. That's all she wanted.

~9 hours later~

Cries of a newborn filled the room.

"It's a girl!" Mrs. Arellano said happily, stroking Rosita's hair. She smiled and laughed a little.

"What's her name?" A nurse asked, putting her newborn baby girl on her chest.

"Christina. Christina Dawn Arellano-Hopper." Rosita smiled down at her newborn baby girl.

If only Vance was here.

Go ahead and cry, little girl
Nobody does it like you do
I know how much it matters to you
I know that you got daddy issues