4: Die First

~November 1978~

Rosita's eyes fluttered open, then shut. Her vision was going in and out. Her head kept getting knocked back, and she could hear her body thudding against something and loud creaking.

It stopped, and she felt coldness beneath her through the shirt on her back. She was being dragged somewhere.

She opened her eyes fully, and she saw her baby brother thrown over the grabber's shoulder and being thrown on a mattress that laid on the floor.

The grabber turned around to grab Rosita, and she closed her eyes, pretending to still be out.

"I know you're awake." The grabber said creepily, making Rosita's skin crawl and open her eyes. He was wearing a strange mask. He left her on the floor and sat next to Robin. He was still passed out.

Rosita got up and walked over to her brother, stroking his hair pretending the grabber wasn't watching. She noticed Robin slowly started to come to. His eyes opened, and he stared at Rosita, not knowing the grabber was next to him staring at her. His vision went in and out, as did Rosita's. "Sorry about the stairs." The Grabber asked, making Robin shoot up, and Rosita put him behind her. "Don't be scared." The grabber said, leaning closer to the Arellano's.

"What do you want?" Rosita asked, holding Robin tight. "There's a lot of things I want, but nobody has to get hurt," the Grabber said, throwing his hands slightly in the air and putting them back down on his lap. "You kids like soda?" Rosita began to get scared at the tone of his voice. It was creepy. "You know what?" The Grabber asked, putting a hand on Rosita's thigh. The Grabber squeezed Rosita's thigh as he spoke. "I'm gonna get you two a soda! Okay?" His actions made Rosita disgusted.

The grabber got up and left, closing the big metal-looking door. The two stayed quiet, trying to process what had just happened and where they were.

Robin noticed the phone and went to go try and see if it worked. He held the phone to his ear. Dead. The phone was dead. There was no use. They were stuck in the basement of the Galesburg Grabber. No one could help.

Rosita thought of what Vance went through down here.

"Rosita, we gotta find a way out." Robin said, hanging up the phone and turning to his sister. "I know." Rosita thought about her daughter "Christina." Rosita said under her breath. "What?" Robin saw his sister zoning out looking at the mattress.

Tears slowly fell down her face, yet she had no emotion. "Rosita?" Robin sat next to his sister, holding her face in his hands, wiping away tears with his thumbs. "Christina." She said, looking at her baby brother.

Christina is only 1. Vance never met her, and she was too young to remember Rosita.

Robin hugged his sister, and she cried into his shoulder. "We're getting out of here, and you're gonna see her again. I promise." Robin said, holding Rosita's shoulders, looking into her eyes. "You can't promise something like that." "Yes, I can. You and I are fighters! We're getting out of here!" "Okay." "Okay."

Rosita was right. Robin can't promise something like that.

But if one of us dies
I hope I die first
'Cause I don't wanna live without you
I don't wanna ever learn
How to fall asleep without you