ten rings

A sneak peek at an upcoming project that continues the legend of a great Marvel superhero...

I had made it this far; I wasn't going back.

I took a deep breath, and walked right into the waterfall.

Behind the fall was a narrow tunnel. At the end of it shone a bright light, emitting blue and purple colors--yes, it was a portal, and not just a portal to anywhere; it was leading back to my home.

As I stumbled out of the portal, I looked around me and a wave of nostalgia crashed over me. How long had it been since I came here--had it been two years already?

"她回來了!" Some villagers tending to the mythical longmas that roamed the land shouted. 

Yes! I wanted to holler. I'm back! 

I looked across the plain. A group of boys and girls slightly younger than me were practicing archery with a familiar figure. "No, little guy, ya gotta tilt the bow like this and draw it back-hey, look at the target, not at me--that's it. Now aim, look at it, fire!" 

The bow shot and reached the middle ring. "Alright, not bad," the woman nodded approvingly, and turned on her heel to face me.

"Well, look who finally came back," my Auntie Katy beamed.

"Hi, Auntie Katy," I greeted the archery teacher. "Where are the others?"

"In the Main Hall," Auntie Katy passively remarked. "They're preparing for something. You know what, let me take you there. Class dismissed!" She called to the children, and they put their bows and arrows away.

***

"Hey, you," Auntie Katy grinned at Uncle Shang-Chi. "Are y'all almost done with the preparations?"

"Yes, Katy," my Uncle replied hurriedly, "Just the last final tweaks - "

"If you'd open your eyes for a moment, Shaun, you'd see that your niece is standing next to me."

As if awoken from a deep slumber, Uncle Shang-Chi rubbed his eyes and looked at me. He immediately engulfed me in a bear hug, "We were all so worried--it's been two years, Loriana Yang!"

"I know, and I'm sorry. Things have been--well, let's put it lightly-hectic. I've been living with Jade. So I suppose my mom's here too?"

Both my Uncle and Auntie nodded curtly. "Actually, that's one of the reasons why we're all hurrying around today - your grandma and your mom have a very important announcement."

I frowned, "They could've just dragged me to their chambers like they normally do when I've dishonored them, why all the preparation? Is it my execution day? What a welcome,"

"That's my girl," A calm but steely voice behind me spoke up. I grinned at the familiar voice, and turned around. 

"Auntie Xialing!" We did a special greeting that we'd invented when I was eight. swipe right, left, fist bump, shake hands, high-five, punch the air, bow. It was nothing but a silly gesture, but Auntie Xialing's face remained forever stoic, as if this were a formal greeting. Auntie Katy merely chuckled at the ordeal.

On the other side of the Main Hall, a crowd had assembled. It was the village chieftess, also known as my grandma Ying Nan. I looked worriedly at Auntie Katy. "Don't worry, I promise she won't bite," she tried to reassure me.

"Bite or no bite, I'll have to take that risk today," I shook my head, and braced myself for some form of public humiliation.

But I was totally unprepared for what happened next.

Grandma Ying Nan clapped her hands to signal order, and everyone in the Great Hall fell silent. In a regal air, she began her speech, "Greetings, citizens of Ta Lo. The time has come to unveil a new prophecy to all of you, and this is the reason why I have gathered everyone here.

***

"Yang Rui Ling, as the prophecy foretells, you shall be the next person to wield the Ten Rings."