twisted - a short retelling

a double drabble: guess the fairytale!

Her crimson cape dragged on the damp cobblestone steps, and the sound of clicking heels reverberated across the dark room.

"Why are you here?" A woman's voice came from the cell in the corner of the room.

"Can't I pay a visit to my dearly beloved stepmother?" She turned towards the prisoner. "I bet you're dying to know how you became 'evil.'"

"I already do," the prisoner spat. "You blamed me for causing you harm when you put yourself in danger unknowingly. You twisted me into some villain straight out of storybooks—all so you could be pictured as the innocent victim."

"No need to exaggerate," the queen waved a hand as if dismissing the accusations. "All I know was that I stretched the truth slightly so that you could still be punished for crimes you committed. I noticed Father's jewels were missing after he passed—and you and I were the only people that could enter his chambers."

"You're not exactly guilt-free either," the prisoner answered. "The dwarves are all missing."

The queen gasped. "How dare you accuse me of murder?"

"You can never trick your own mother, Snow White. I think the real Evil Queen here is you, not me."