from the boiling isles

small fic for the owl house!

The first time I saw Luz, she painted a hex sign on my right arm, and I couldn't move my fingers for three hours. She swore it was a mistake, and that she didn't do it intentionally, but I think I held a grudge on her for a bit too long. We became friends after she taught me the glyph for that prank.

The first time I saw Amity, she was comparing grades with me. I had gone into Hexside undercover and was just using my old tests as a decoy, but still did well on the tests nevertheless. We became friends after we realized we had SO MANY THINGS IN COMMON we couldn't stop talking about.

The first time I saw Willow, she invited me to join the Hexside flying derby team, the Emerald Entrails. I thought it was probably the same as playing the sport at Royal Prep with pegasi, but you had to have a palisman and broomstick (I had to use what little Boiling Isles magic I knew to make one just before my first practice). She and I hit it off pretty easily, and I admired her outgoing, sunshiny and fearless personality.

The first time I saw Hunter, he was still in his Golden Guard sigil and mask, which made him quite intimidating. But of course, looks could be deceiving, especially if the person lived in the Boiling Isles. He turned out to be quite the soft-boy with a traumatizing past as I continued to learn more about him. Although we knew a decent amount about each other, it was Willow who made us official friends. After that, incessant annoying and teasing ensued—mainly from me, but also, he needs to suck up the courage to ask Willow out.

The first time I saw Gus, he tricked me with an illusion of Luz to help him do his music homework. His jokes made me crack up constantly, and we became companions as I joined the flying derby 'Emerald Trio' to make the 'Emerald Quartet'. I joked that he still needed to ask out Mattholomule to solidify our friendship, but we respected each other a lot.

The first time I saw King, I immediately thought of Mushu- they had the same little animal, strong powerful force vibe, which almost made me laugh out loud. Needless to say, we became fast friends and King was quite the loyal companion.

The first time I saw Lilith and Eda, they welcomed me into the Owl House with open arms. Oh, Hooty was also there. They didn't even ask me what troubles I was facing, or if I was a local in the Boiling Isles, or who my parents were-they just sat with me as I sobbed, compliantly and quietly. They provided me with a place to stay, as well as unconditional comfort and a shoulder to lean on. Although Eda was extremely nice, I felt closer to Lilith for some inexplicable reason. Maybe it was because of that one time at dinner where she expressed her heartfelt discontent for any sort of affection.

I love everyone who's helped me through these trying times ever since I stumbled into the Boiling Isles. I have no idea when I'll be able to go back to Royal Prep and my home, and I miss Mama and Baba so much. Of course, I miss you both too. Take care of our elders for me.

I'll be back soon–hopefully.

Love always from your amazing sister,

Faith