19

I waited outside for Hyunsoo to wake up since he had been unconscious since the battle outside. I saw Yi-Kyung walk over and was about to enter when I stopped her. "He's asleep, he needs to rest." I told her, but she ignored me and walked right in, slamming the door behind her, telling me she just wants it to be just her and him in the room. I had to respect it, but I also wanted to know what she wanted from him. So I just left.

I heard a lot of noise coming from Mr Han so I walked into the room and leaned against the desk. "What are you making?" I asked. He turned the machine off and sat back in his wheelchair. 

"Some weapon I might need to use." He replied.

I gave out a chuckle and folded my arms against my chest. "You have a gun thing that can harm monsters."

"It doesn't kill them though." He placed his things down on the desk and looked up at me. "How are you feeling kid?"

I shifted in my spot and looked down at my feet. "I've been better I guess." I answered quietly. "I'm slowly getting there."

He nodded. "You're a brave person you know that right?" He said and I felt myself smile. "You've been through tons of stuff and you're hanging on and I'm proud of you for that."

I felt the tears swell in my eyes. No one has ever said that to me. I couldn't say anything back to him except just nod. "Thanks." I said softly so he didn't know I was about to cry. I sniffed and took a deep breath in, ready to talk again. "Um, I'm going to get some food. Are you coming?"

"I'll be there soon." He muttered as I started to walk out of the room before I could fully cry. I wiped the tears just under my eye lids and gave myself a little shake before I entered the next room.

I got my food before taking a spot at the table away from everyone. I liked sitting by myself sometimes, right now I love it.

Everyone was chatting to themselves until I saw Mrs Im enter slowly and everyone fell quiet as she stood there fidgeting with her hands. "I should go outside." She said softly. "I'm starting to have symptoms."

Everyone turned their heads and stared at her.

"I should've told you sooner, I just didn't want to believe it."

Fuck.

"I don't want to put anyone in danger, so I'm leaving before it's too late."

I stood up and took her hand. "You're not going outside, you can die." I told her, "isolate yourself here-."

"Are you crazy? Why are we letting her stay here?" Jae-Hwan cried and a piece of food was thrown at his face. Eun-Hyuk stepped in and stood at the door.  "You can stay in the arcade as well." He told her.

She looked at me and I gave her a smile. "I'll be fine, I'm there regularly anyway." I told her. I knew she was questioning things since I'm always in the arcade with Hyunsoo anyway. She nodded and gripped my hand tightly before letting it go and following Eun-Hyuk.

Yi-Kyung was standing just a few feet away from the doorway listening to the conversation and Mrs Im stopped and stared at her before walking over to her to say a few words and then continued to follow Eun-Hyuk to the arcade.

Night fell and we were all huddled in the daycare telling scary stories that weren't that scary. I was about to fall asleep so I got up and went to go find an empty room to sleep in because Mrs Im is in the arcade and I can't really sleep there anymore.

"Minji!" I turned towards the voice to see Hyunsoo walking up to me. "Where are you going?"

"To sleep." I replied.

"You usually sleep in the arcade with me."

"I know, Mrs Im is in there no and I thought she might be comfortable without me in there so constantly."

He smiled down at me. "Ok, we'll find a new room." He said and lead the way down the hall.

He glanced in every door until he found an empty one that didn't have much furniture and it was a little away from the others. He opened the door and waited for me to enter with a smile on his face.

Once he closed the door we sat on some crates and I had recognized this as the reception right at the front.

Hyunsoo sat down next to me and that's when I noticed his bloodied up knuckles. "What did you do?" I cried as I took his hand in mine. He stayed quiet as I studied his knuckles.

"Aren't you scared, Minji?" He asked me so softly I could barely hear him. I took my gaze off his knuckles and looked into his eyes. "Why would I be?" 

"Just had a thought."

"Why would that thought cross your mind?"

"Because you're still human and I could lash out anytime now."

"But you're overcoming it." I told him, "I don't care monster or not, I feel as safe with than I do with the others."

He stared at my eyes and then down at my lips and then did over again until he gave me a quick peck, making the heat travel to my face. I felt myself smile as I returned it, but longer this time.