26

Vanessa's Pov

17th May 1983. That date would always be stuck in Vanessa's mind. It was the day that she found herself wound up in all of this. She questioned it everyday, even up to the present day. Why was she still here? Why was she involved? Why can't she escape? She was older than the kids. Even though it would a couple of years, the awarness a person gains through those few years of childhood is massive.

Vanessa always did what she was told. Her dad was the only member of her family she had left, she couldn't exactly just leave. Especially not at twelve years old with no money or anywhere to go. She could have told someone. She could have stopped all of this. But then, who would she have left? Her hands were tied and there was no escape.

So she listened. Obviously, she didn't carry out anything illegal herself (other than basically being an accomplice to murder) so she thought it would be fine. Maybe if he got all of his anger out on these children, he would stop at some point. She vividly remembered his instructions. He had pointed to a small party table. Six kids, eating pizza and having a fun time.

Somehow, William still had some sympathy in him. Vanessa wouldn't call it sympathy now she knew what happened to these kids, but thats what she thought at the time. All but the birthday boy. He picked them out because she knew the majority of them well, therefore making it easier for you to lure them away. As expected, she did. Leading every child away from the crowds and their parents to be greeted by a yellow rabbit.

Then there were two. Vanessa did all she could to convince him to stop, but he just threatened her with death. Literally telling her that she'd be murdered along with the rest of the kids. Now, part of her wished she was, so she wouldn't have to deal with such a burden on her back of knowing what actually happened. She carried on as usual. Managing to bring the small blonde girl towards the back door.

Vanessa wasn't able to hear the screams over the loud music, but it was almost as if she could feel them, like she could feel the coldblooded killer stabbing her. Then there was one. Looking out to the crowd, the last girl had disappeared. Walking into the crowd, she spotted her parents shoving a heavy coat onto her shoulders, her mother had a worried expression as a hand went on the girl's shoulder tightly, guiding her out of the building.

She looked for the birthday boy, Fritz instead, not wanting to end up dead like the rest of the kids. Tears sparked in her eyes as she was frantically looking for the red headed child, silently praying he was still here. Finally, there he was, smiling in front of Vanessa. She remembered that he asked her if she was alright.

Unwillingly, she led him to the back room, not entering or even daring to look as the yellow rabbit invited Fritz in, who happily skipped in. As the door closed, Vanessa heard the banging on the door and the footsteps due to the music fading. When the screaming had stopped, the curtains were shut and there was half an hour for everyone to leave before the place shut. Looking around, no one had noticed.

Everyone filtered out eventually. Even the employees, who were quite concerned for Vanessa due to the state she was in. Maybe things would get better. Maybe she could escape.