4

It was around midday when you started your shift. As usual, you signed into the front office and went to meet Vanessa. Her car was parked outside like it was everyday and you got into the passenger seat. The car fell silent already, not even a question of how you were doing could be heard, even though it's something she asked everytime you started your shift with her. "You still got those pills?" She asked with a sigh, she seemed frustrated.

"Yeah, I kept them in the car last shift." You mentioned to her, your eyebrows furrowed with confusion as she took a breath of relief. She was clearly glad you had kept them and not handed them in like you were actually supposed to. Last shift, you were so tired that you couldn't even be bothered to go back to the police station to sign out, you had to do it that afternoon, showing her the bottle of pills that you had kept in the car door for safe keeping. "Why?"

"Someone broke into Freddy's. Tossed the place." She said, looking away from you in that moment, her eyes glued to the road in front of her, even though she wasn't driving and her hands were fidgeting. It was as if she had done something wrong or knew what happened. "Since Mike works there, he's liable, and they want us to go question him."

"Okay." You said, placing the pills back into the car door and placing your seat belt on. Her lack of conversation worried you, she was normally happy at the start of shifts, even if she wasn't she'd normally tell you why. You could tell something was off about Vanessa today already. She seemed upset, something had happened, but you didn't want to ask because you felt like you would be intruding in her personal life. Maybe she had an argument with a boyfriend or something?

"Fancy going out for food after work?" She questioned. "I'm having a rough day. I would love a friend." You smiled at her, she had finally called you a friend. Whether that's just for today because she's a bit lonely or she actually meant it, you were happy to be the first one she asked. You decided not to comment on her weird behaviour, instead, try to cheer her up a little bit.

"Sounds good." You said and you saw a small smile rest on her face for the first time today. She peered at your face for a second. Almost making you believe that you had something on it. her thumb lifted you chin up a little as you tried to look away.

"You look better by the way, less tired." She mentioned before pulling her hand away and starting the car. This literally caused your heart to beat out of your chest. You questioned to yourself why she did that. It made you go completely silent and confused. She gave you a compliment, that's something god right? Eventually, you arrive at Mikes small home. You follow Vanessa to the front of the house and she knocks. You pass her the pills and she places them in her pocket.

"Hey- Um. Vanessa, Y/n." Mike mumbled, opening the door, a very confused expression was planted on his face as he saw the two of you. You saw that he was tired, he looked really tired.

"Hey, Mike." Vanessa said. The door opened a little more and a brunette girl peeked out from behind it, you smiled at the girl, and she seemed to smile back. "And hello."

"This is Abby. Abby this is Vanessa and Y/n." Mike introduced, Abby looked as confused as Mike and almost worried.

"Hi Abby. Mike didn't tell me he had a daughter." Vanessa said, her arms crossed. You looked at Abby, whose face twisted with disgust when she had suggested that.

"Gross." She whispered.

"No, Abby's my sister." Mike said, still quite sceptical of why you both were there.

"Ah, well he didn't tell me he had a sister either." Vanessa said, a small smile resting on her face.

"Are you here to arrest Mike?" Abby asked.