22

Your whole shift was boring, when was it not these days? You found yourself looking for Vanessa everywhere you went, even if you knew that she wasn't going to be there, in every shop, every time you walk into the police station, even when you walk. Into your house but you couldn't gather the courage to just call her. You parked quickly, trying to resist the urge to look around.

Grabbing your bag and your keys, you walked into the police station. Seeing that it was three in the morning, the station was almost empty but as usual, you walked up to the desk at reception. Another lady sat there today, she was the morning shift officer and it made you wonder where the usual woman was. You had so much on your mind that you just shrugged it off and put the keys on the table. "I'm signing out."

The blonde turned around to face you, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion as she stared at your appearance. Sighing, she grabbed a clipboard. "Name?" She questioned as if it was a demand. You really couldn't be bothered to deal with her right now.

"Y/n L/n." You stated as she took the keys off the desk. As she slowly ticked your name off, you just wished the other lady was back, God, how did you not know her name yet. Her light scoff brought you to the present, you looked down at her with a blank expression. "Is something wrong?"

"Oh nothing... Officer..." The girl squinted her eyes at the clipboard. You knew how bad the handwriting was but she seemed to be exaggerating. She clearly wasn't looking for your name and you had to resist a smile from forming.

"Is it Officer Shelly?" You questioned way too quickly, she turned to you with a raised eyebrow. She cleared her throat.

"Yes, actually." She started, putting the clipboard down and turning to you slowly and unnecessarily dramatically. "She came looking for you earlier because you left your police ID thing in her car. I offered to take it and give it to you but she turned it down right away and said she'd give it to you later this morning."

"Thanks." You nodded to her and left, not wanting to hear her whiny voice any longer. You've always noticed how the day shift staff are way more ignorant and petty than the night staff, you thought that they would be happy to be stuck on the day shift rather than the night shift - you definitely would be, you couldn't remember the last time you had a full week to sleep properly.

It took you a moment to gather your thoughts when you had entered the car, most likely because it was so early in the morning and you were really tired. Eventually, you were driving home, your whole body aching and your head banging from the stressful shift. You mostly just needed a good sleep, hopefully you just needed some sleep.

When you had gotten home, you immediately collapsed into your bed, not even bothering to change out of your police uniform. You woke a couple hours later, if you had reminded yourself to close your curtains, you might have been able to sleep in longer. Soon enough, you rose from your bed and got changed into some comfortable clothes for the day. You didn't plan on doing anything today and you had forgotten all about what that lady had said earlier.

After you had drunk your coffee, there was a knock at your door. Confused, you opened it to see the one person you always wanted to see. Vanessa. She seemed tired and worn out. Without a word, she handed you your police badge and other random things you had left in her car. You smiled softly, "How come you didn't give these to me earlier?" You asked, putting them on the table next to the front door.

"Maybe I just wanted an excuse to see you," She almost mumbled, as if it was a secret. Hearing those words almost made you giggle with happiness. The doorway fell into silence as you tried to gather the words that you wanted to say to her. You wanted to admit everything, but you didn't know what to say.

"Thanks." You finally said instead. However, she didn't move. You really wanted her to either talk or leave because the silence was killing you. She let out a small sigh. "You okay?" You asked

"I don't know how to say it..." She said, and paced from side to side, it made your concern for her grow every second. Finally, she stopped to look at you, came forward and kissed you. Sure, it was quick and light, but it was enough for you. "Maybe I shouldn't have-."

"I love you." You said, stopping her in her tracks.