9 │Change of plans

Start from the beginning

From the corner of her eye, she caught an amused smirk from Leander and the revulsed version coming from Qadir. "What?" She asked.

"I cannot believe you eat like that," Qadir was the first to respond.

"Like what?" She teased.

"Like a dog on their last meal," he replied.

Freya snorted, not at all touched by his observation. "I can act ladylike but I believe we don't have the luxury of time." She took another bite of the bread. "By the way, what is the reason of this delay?"

Qadir didn't seem to listen to her but she felt that it was just an act to avoid the question. "Acting silent now?" She sneered, directing her gaze at her future husband's supposedly the most trusted man. She wondered why was that him, and not the king's brother himself.

"I had some business nearby to take care of. Nothing you should concern yourself with." Freya didn't miss the Prince's frown at Qadir's statement. But it disappeared as soon as it appeared.

Interesting.

She didn't dwell on a subject though. For now, she simply focused on her food, which was disappearing fast. When she was finished with her meal and her companions with their bears, they paid and took off.

Frida looked well-rested and fairly cared for. She greeted her lady with a happy snort and was more than eager to take her on the next part of the journey, which was surprising given how the tavern itself was being maintained. The special care of horses was a pleasant treat though.

They had been traveling through the thick forest now. That, and the overwhelming darkness gave Freya quite the challenge. She was used to conditions as such, but with the aura of a hurry, it was never a good idea to trot through. Vampires obviously had no problems with navigating their horses, but for Freya, that quest required so much concentration, that after a few hours of traveling, she was simply exhausted. The Princess didn't complain, although she had an impression that all of her limbs were going to give her hell during the next break. During one moment of weakness, she asked, why exactly did they had to ride through such an inconvenient route, but she only got Qadir's gloomy look and quick response that it was better for them that way.

Just like it was supposed to explain everything.

Their next stop was supposed to be Carda's one of the biggest ports—Nyamene—the city of busy life, bouquet of smells, fresh fish, drunken souls, and an obscene number of brothels. It was a place no lady should be willing to visit, although Freya heard so many stories back then, that she was pretty sure she had to visit the city someday. She couldn't have thought that this day would come so quickly.

She had learned they had a small ship awaiting them which should take them through The Mourning Sea's malign waters. She had never crossed any sea—only small lakes and rivers—so she felt a bit excited. New day—a new experience. Just a pity it was in the company of her life's one-eighty development and separation from family. Another thing that should possibly scare her, was the mere fact that these exact waters were the biggest, the deepest, and the most dangerous in the area. She shouldn't be excited. She should be terrified. However, she wasn't and she had started thinking that something was seriously wrong with her for having all sorts of danger-calling excitements.

Freya was so lost in thought that she didn't see her companions slackening. Only when her mare almost touched the other horses' docks, she realized they should go faster.

"Why are we slowing down?" She asked, craning her neck out of curiosity. Freya saw almost nothing but somehow she managed to catch one person's turn around. Leander's to be exact.

"We'll need to camp here. There's a small cave nearby... The place should be good enough."

"I thought we were going strictly to the city," she didn't hide her bafflement. Something was off.

"But we're staying here for the day so shut up and follow," Qadir's voice took her by surprise. She already had gotten used to his grim and highly unpleasant demeanor but how he acted now, was simply too much for her. Maybe she was demanding too much from this particular person but for fuck's sake, she was going to be his queen soon. He should maybe loosen up a bit—who knew how the king himself would react to this kind of behavior toward the woman he was so desperate to marry?

But before she managed to zoom out, Leander's firm and commanding voice broke the tension. "Forgive him. I'll explain later once we settle," he calmed her efficiently with his stern but apologetic tone. "Qadir, ride ahead and take care of yourself. You know where to find us when you're back to normal."

Qadir spluttered but said nothing. Quickly after, he was already gone leaving them alone.

Again.