"This is fun," she giggles as we break a handful of spaghetti into half and throw it in a pot of boiling water.
"Yeah, I didn't think cooking was that cool!"
She laughs, "You're a kid."
"A kid that can cook," I smirk. "That adds to the list of reason why I'm smart."
"Shut up," she pokes my arm.
"Didn't hurt," I suppress a laugh and she hits me. "Still didn't." She takes a glass of water that she's been drinking from from the table and gives it to me.
"Can you pour me some water?"
"Sure," I say taking the glass. I pour her ice cold water and wrap her fingers around the glass. "Here."
"Thank you," she says taking a tiny sip. Suddenly the whole glass of ice cold water is dripping from my hair and face.
"WHAT THE-" I gasp, and she laughs so hard she sits on the floor holding her stomach.
"Did that hurt?" she manages to say.
"That's my payment for pouring you water?" I ask wiping water from my eyes.
"I wish I can see your face now," she laughs again, less cheerfully.
"You did a pretty good job showering me without even seeing me," I say looking around for tissues.
"It's hilarious anyway."

When we're done, Leen sits at the table as I set it up.
"What do you wanna drink?" I ask.
"I don't think we have any juices."
"No, I've bought some when the doctor said you're about to be discharged. There's pomegranate and apple juices."
"Pomegranate!" she yells.
"I thought so," I chuckle taking out the carton of juice and pouring into two glasses.
When the table is all ready I sit down. "This looks good."
"It smells great!" she says as I put some pasta on her plate.

Ahmed calls me when I decide to go to sleep. I take the phone and stand on the balcony. "How is everything?" I ask.
"Alhamdulillah," he says in a hurry. "I have some great news."
"What?"
"Dad's friend is a well-known doctor in Germany, I asked him if he knows a doctor who can help Leen. He said he knows one of the greatest specialists in Europe, and he called me just now to tell me he could make an appointment for you."
"Are you serious?" I hold the phone tighter. "This is great! When can we go?"
"He said the closest thing he could find is fifteen days from now."
"Fifteen days," I echo. "Okay great! I'll tell Leen. Thank you, Ahmed."
He snorts when I say thank you. "Inshallah she'll recover. We're all praying for her."
***
"Lee!" I run into the bedroom to find her sitting on the bed, facing the wide-open window.
"Yes?" she turns to the direction of my voice.
"Good news!" I say taking a seat next to her, facing the window as well. Oh, that fresh air.
"What is it?"
"We got an appointment with one of the greatest specialists in Europe. We'll fly off to Germany in ten days inshallah."
"Really?" Her eyes light up. Even though they're darkening her world inside, they still light up mine. A bit lost though, she still has the same look.
"Yes!" I say enthusiastically. "Aaand another thing is..." I draw in a lungful of air, "we'll be making an Umra first."
"A-Are you serious?" she says softly.
"Of course I am," I smile at her. "We both need to feel at ease, and that's the best place. And we'll pray in front of the Ka'ba, we'll pray that Allah lets the best happen."
"He'll never let us down," she smiles.
"He never will," I assure her.

The next morning I wake up to a text from Ahmed saying he's waiting in front of the gate.
"Lee," I say nudging her to wake up. "Ahmed's here, I'm going down to meet him."
"Okay," she says sleepily. "Tell him I say hi."
I smile at how sleepy she is.

"Morning," I say walking Ahmed inside.
"Morning bro," he says. "How's Leen?"
"She's trying to be better," I smile.
"Adam," he says getting serious. "Are you really going to quit?"
I sigh, I don't know why everyone is getting crazy over this. It's my choice; I chose that job and now I choose to quit it. "Yes, it's my final decision."
"What did they tell you at work?"
"You know father had relations, and they liked me so they told me I can go back at any time."
"I think that's what you should do."
"Go back?"
"No quit. Stay with your wife when she needs you more than any other time. And go back when things are settled; you can't be on the ground for long. I know you." he smiles. Well, yes he does know me. Better than anyone apparently. Ahmed is the best to know how to give me an advice, more importantly, how to make me take it. I don't know how would I have been able to keep my sanity if it wasn't for Leen, Ahmed and Mariam. I really don't.
I smile back at him, "That's exactly what I've been needing to hear. You're always on time."
"I know," he says teasing me, and gets up.
"Where to?"
"Did you forget that I work?"
"Ah," how much have we been enclosed in the bubble of Leen's illness that we forgot people work-including us? "I'll have to call Omar to start working."
"I guess it'll be the happiest day of his life," Ahmed chuckles walking toward the door.
"Ah, Ahmed!" I suddenly remember. "I'm going to Saudi Arabia in a couple of days. I'll stay for a week."
"Taking Leen for an Umra?"
"Yes, wanna come?" I ask.
"I'll take break from work then," he nods. "You'll need help there."
"I think so," I smile shamefully. "Not so grown up at last."
"We'll never grow up," he smiles. "But this is a real blow."
"Yes it is," I nod. "I'll book the tickets and call you."
"Okay then, I'll get going."
"Okay," I say walking him outside.
***
"Do you need any help?" Leen asks as I'm packing up our bags.
"No, I'm fine."