Alessia Russo X Y/N~I Wasn't Good Enough~

Start from the beginning

Alessia's POV

They were now starting the first set of awards for this world cup.

The Golden ball winner was announced as Aitana Bonmatí, the golden glove as Mearps, FIFA young player was Salma Paralluelo, and golden boot was lastly announced as Y/n.

Y/n was last to go up for the awards, the applauds from both teams and the stadium were massive. Everyone, especially myself was so proud of her. She's had the tournament of her life. She was absolutely incredible in the Euros last year, especially after returning from an ACL, I couldn't be prouder.

She accepts the award, and makes her way slowly to the stage with the rest of the winners of the other awards, they do a quick couple of photos before leaving the stage, and I can see her have a few moments briefly with her Barça teammates Aitana and Salma, before making her way back to us with Mary.

Y/n and Mary walk back to us, and Y/n slowly makes her way over to me, I try to keep the tears at bay, but that was no use when she got close enough for me to see how much she had been and still is crying.

I open my arms to her, and she engulfed me in a colossal hug, burying her head into my neck before breaking off the hug as the runner's up medals were now about to be given out.

I turned around and looked back to Y/n, "I love you" I mouthed to her and she mouthed it back to me before I walked onto the stage to collect my runner's up medal.

No-One's POV

Once England had all collected their second place medals, and after a quick photo on the stage, they all slowly made their way off the stage and went to their bench area, back into a huddle, watching on as Spain went and collected their Gold, winner's medals of the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup.

The heartbreak, hurt and complete utter devastation in the England players eyes was clear. They watched on as they carried on giving out the medals and eventually reaching Alexia Putellas who had her golden medal around her neck, and was now being handed the world cup trophy.

The England team couldn't help but to watch and on imagine that being them on that stage right now celebrating, but it wasn't. They watched on from the side, completely heartbroken by their defeat.

Eventually, the girls made their way back into the changing room, and the silence was loud and clear. No-one spoke a word to eachother, not even looked at eachother, no-one had the words to say anything at all, all of the England girls were far too devastated and in their own heads to speak to anyone.

After they'd all showered, gotten changed and collected their belongings, they all made their way back out to their families, well everyone a except Y/n.

Y/n stayed behind sat in the changing room, head in hands as the tears continued to fall.

Alessia's POV

"Wheres's my favourite daughter in law Less?" my Mother asked with a light joke and chuckle as we separated from our long and much needed hug. I looked around in confusion, thinking she'd came out with us, but I couldn't see her anywhere. I know her family wasn't here, but she'd usually still come out. I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm- i'm not sure, and we're not married Mum, yet" I replied to my Mum, who now had a look of concern on her face.

"Yet. Now, Go find her" My Mum says, I nodded in response before leaving the stands and looking around once more for my girlfriend, nope, nowhere to be seen.

I head back down the tunnel and go inside our changing room, I open the door quietly, and the sight breaks my heart completely.

"Oh Y/n, babe" I let out as I made my way quickly to her, she had her head in her hands as she cried.

"It's okay babe, i'm here, i'm here" I said, trying to comfort her, placing my hands on her knees, rubbing them gently.

"I- I wasn't, I wasn't good e-enough Less" Y/n sobbed out. That made my heart hurt physically hearing those words come out of my girlfriend's mouth.

"No, no, don't say that Y/n/n, because you know that it's not true. You have been absolutely outstanding this entire tournament. Scoring bangers left right and centre, you have been a critical player in this team babe. I'm so proud of you, so are the rest of the girls and staff, all the fans, everyone Y/n, absolutely everyone. You need to be proud of yourself to baby, I love you so much"

Y/n choked on a sob she was trying to hold in. I took her hands from her face, lifting her head up to look at me. I held her hands in mine, kissing the top of her hand gently before pulling her in for a hug.

"I love- love you too" Y/n mumbled into my shoulder as her arms held onto my waist tightly.

"Let's get out of here yeah? My mum really wants to see you, her favourite child's girlfriend" I say jokingly and Y/n chuckled into my chest.

Y/n nodded before we broke off the hug and both stood up, I took her hand in mine and led the way out the changing room and down the tunnel back onto the pitch.

"It's gonna be alright babe, I promise" I said as reassuringly as I could.

"I know. I've got you" Y/n replied which made my heart swell.

I love this girl so much.

🫶🏼🫶🏼