Chapter 1

Lily hears a notification and fishes out her phone from her bag to check it immediately. It's only a text. She reads it before staring at it, her eyebrow raised. She turns it off and shoves it in her bag as if it were a mere toy.

Her bag on her lap, she sits at the root of a palm tree, the leaves blocking the sun's rays and she contemplates the text. A cool breeze hits her which calms her, and she looks at the view in front of her; mesmerized by it.

The air is awash with scents of salt and sand capable of bringing anyone to ease. The soothing sound of the waves colliding with the wet sand on the beach is like a beautiful melody playing in the breeze. She admires her surroundings and even to the fluffy clouds in the sky, enjoying the gentle breeze as it blows her hair to and fro.

But even then, Lily can't get her mind off of the message she just read. She grips her bag as she grits her teeth, only one question popping in her head over and over again. What is up with him?

*Lily's POV*

I came here to the seaside to relax. Take my mind off of things and just be in nature but it's always the perfect time for him to bother me. My best friend, Mason. Why the heck is he even in my house anyway and did he really have to inform me with that unnecessary information? I tuck my blonde hair behind my ears and stare at my phone. Can't I just... have some time to myself? I decide to head home and luckily, the beach is a walking distance to my house so it isn't too much of a bother.

Once I get home, I see Mason chatting away with my mom. Since Mason and I grew up together, my mom still sees him as she quotes, 'The cute little boy I raised!'.

"Good morning mom," I call out and the two turn their attention to me.

Mason smirks, before walking up to me, "And if it isn't my favorite person," he states. "I know life is really boring without me, so... here I am."

Unfortunately for him, I don't look his way; my attention focusing on my mother. I sigh tiredly and fiddle with my shirt. I just want a break. My mom then excuses herself since she has work and all.

I see Mason observe me from the corner of my eye and I continue to avoid his gaze. Once my mom leaves, he walks up to me, crossing his arms.

"Can we talk?"

I look at him before biting my lip, my gaze landing everywhere but on him, giving him the same answer I always did.

"No"

I always question my friendship with him. For me, he is that annoying guy who's stuck in my life and sometimes, I wonder if he actually sees me as his friend.

I sit on my couch and listen to music through my headphones. Mason watches me closely as he sits next to me, obviously trying to read me. Our relationship has been getting awkward after what he said that day. Right after that, he left me with silence, so I did the same.

"How's life?" he asks, his eyes still on me.

He is left with yet again, more silence but he should have guessed what awaited him due to what he had done. Mason sighs and fidgets with his hair. "I can explain everything-"

"Maybe you should leave," I interrupt. Sometimes he can't seem to get a hint that I just want to be by myself. He sits there speechless before giving me a nod and saying goodbye to which I do not reply. I might have been a bit harsh but I just lost touch with whatever we had in our friendship after what he did that day. It was something I can never forget.

I go to my room and look over at my wall decor. Memories start flooding back as I remember when Mason and I decorated my room using string lights. We hung my old photos using them and always lit them up at night which is absolutely beautiful. My fingers traced them as a smile then a frown appeared on my face. If only we could go back to those days.