Sixteen

Damien

She stares in awe as we approach the massive beast we'll be riding upon.

Eden will ride into battle with me upon my dragon, it's the safest place for her.

"I thought they had all been wiped out." She says barely above a whisper.

"Azar is the last dragon. My spirit companion." I bow my head slightly as we approach, and Azar stretches out his massive golden wings in greeting.

"He's magnificent." She praises the beast, smoke tendrils slowly seeping from the dragons mouth as it shows off it's massive teeth for her.

"He understands you." I laugh lightly, amused by the large dragon showing off for my mate.

"He does?" She questions excitedly.

"Yes, though he doesn't have words to exchange in return, he always has his way of communicating back. He's very expressive for a dragon."

Eden makes her way up to his large snout, stretching out a hand. "May I?" Azar nods his massive head once, allowing Eden to touch his scales upon his face.

"Each scale shimmers like gold.. I'm honored to be in the presence of such a sacred being." I admire how easily Azar let Eden touch him, he's usually such a picky little snot.

I turn my attention from Eden and towards our small army.

After we had gathered everyone and everything we needed we made our way through the portals, emerging in a dense forest full of tall, gangly willow trees, with moss covering everything it can cling to.

We're only a day's worth of a journey away from the nymph kingdom, if we travel through the night we may arrive sooner than expected.

I fear what awaits us there. According to Jericho there has been no word from the nymph kingdom since their last distress call.

I fear the worst.

"Damien?" Eden's sweet voice brings me from my thoughts. "Everything okay?"

"I fear what we will find when we get there." I admit.

"We can't think like that. We have to have hope.. If we don't have hope, then we have nothing." My beautiful mate, so wise and full of hope for better things to come.

I smile down at her, and she brings her hands to the back of my neck, pulling me towards her. Her lips meet mine in a tender kiss, one that calms my racing heart and mind as I relax, wrapping my arms around her delicate frame.

The way she so openly shows affection towards me makes my fucking heart soar. The way she kisses me as people ready for battle all around us. She kisses me, letting everyone know she is mine as well.

I feel her press further into me, our kiss deepening right before I force myself to pull away. "As much as it's tempting to show everyone just how much you are mine, we should probably focus on readying to leave, before we get left behind." I chuckle, trying not to sound breathless.

Little witch, always affecting me so easily.

Her eyes gaze into mine with a look in her eyes I can't quite place.

"I love you, Damien." I know my grin probably looks foolish, but I don't care. Not when my mate says such things to me.

I bring a hand to her face, cupping it gently. "And I love you, Eden." She closes her eyes and leans into my hand further before opening her eyes again and lightly pulling away.

"Something troubles you."

She bites her lower lip, turning her attention to some of the lower class demons handing out weapons to everyone.